Issues with 3-layer discs on LG drive

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Chickenbread

Issues with 3-layer discs on LG drive

Post by Chickenbread »

I was just wondering how common are issues with LG drives on 3-layer discs?
I've been using a Pioneer drive so far for most of my ripping needs, but wanted to get an internal drive as well, since they tend to be a lot quieter and certainly the LG ones are faster at ripping as well.
After flashing the firmware on the BH16NS40 I got to the WH16NS60 1.02MK firmware I at first thought that I did something wrong as the UHD disc I was testing the drive with kept failing to read and errored out with a "No Disc" error. When I tried a different UHD disc it worked just fine. Both discs were 3-layer ones.
Now funny story it turns out that initial disc did end up being dead somehow (despite not having been used in like a year), but it prompted me to test all my other UHD discs and while all 2-layer discs worked just fine on both drives, some of the 3-layer discs only worked on the Pioneer drive.
I hope I didn't do anything wrong with the firmware flash, but I don't know what else could be the issue. Or are LG drives just not recommended anymore for ripping discs?
Coopervid

Re: Issues with 3-layer discs on LG drive

Post by Coopervid »

LG drives are bad for 3-layer discs. PM me if you want a 5,25" Pioneer solution.
Chickenbread

Post by Chickenbread »

Coopervid wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:39 pm
LG drives are bad for 3-layer discs. PM me if you want a 5,25" Pioneer solution.
Apparently I'm too new to the forum to PM people ^^"
Is there another way to contact you?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Chickenbread wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 6:49 am
Coopervid wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:39 pm
Apparently I'm too new to the forum to PM people ^^"
Is there another way to contact you?
Just let me know if you are interested in a 5,25" drive and I PM you all information. Need your country of residence. If you want a slim drive contact the sellers on this forum.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

You are already a while on this forum. I think you need a minimum number of posts until you are allowed to PM.
Chickenbread

Post by Chickenbread »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 9:21 pm
You are already a while on this forum. I think you need a minimum number of posts until you are allowed to PM.
Either my last message enabled that feature or a mod manually activated it for me. Either way, I sent you a PM now :D