having a issue

Everything related to MakeMKV
spl147

having a issue

Post by spl147 »

i copied jack the giant slayer in 3d, but i forgot to copy it in 2d as well….so i loaded the 3d mkv into make mkv, unselected the mvc stream, and copied…the result was a non playable mkv……is this normal?

EDIT: it plays on the pc, but it will not play on the duneHD base 3d
mike admin

Re: having a issue

Post by mike admin »

spl147 wrote:i copied jack the giant slayer in 3d, but i forgot to copy it in 2d as well….so i loaded the 3d mkv into make mkv, unselected the mvc stream, and copied…the result was a non playable mkv……is this normal?

Did you do it with latest version of MakeMKV? You should have gotten the same file as if you unchecked the MVC in a first place. Please try running the resulting file through mkvmerge and see if it becomes playable.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

mike admin wrote:
spl147 wrote:i copied jack the giant slayer in 3d, but i forgot to copy it in 2d as well….so i loaded the 3d mkv into make mkv, unselected the mvc stream, and copied…the result was a non playable mkv……is this normal?

Did you do it with latest version of MakeMKV? You should have gotten the same file as if you unchecked the MVC in a first place. Please try running the resulting file through mkvmerge and see if it becomes playable.

using 1.8.3, thats what i thought, i did run it through mkvmerge, still not playable……i checked the other files i made the same way, and none of them play either!!!
austingrd

Post by austingrd »

Maybe check on the region settings as well? Are you also using VLC on the PC?
Mistakes are learning tools. Image
spl147

Post by spl147 »

austingrd wrote:Maybe check on the region settings as well? Are you also using VLC on the PC?

player and discs are all region A, pc i used TMT5
spl147

Post by spl147 »

mike admin wrote:

any updates on this issue?
spl147

Post by spl147 »

mike admin wrote:

is this issue even being looked into?
rexdragon

Post by rexdragon »

spl147 wrote:..so i loaded the 3d mkv into make mkv, unselected the mvc stream, and copied…the result was a non playable mkv……is this normal?
Ummm...I am no expert with MakeMKV but I know that MakeMKV will only create a single mkv with only 1 single video stream plus any number of audio streams originally selected. If you were to even select 2 video streams within that one disc (e.g. MVC 3D and maybe a regular AVC stream), makeMKV will create 2 mkvs as a result (one for each video stream). The first mkv you created contained only the MVC 3D video stream; so when you attempted to "convert" that 3D mkv to 2D (which by now you should know is impossible) through MakeMKV by "unselecting" the mvc stream, you essentially removed the only video stream from that mkv thus resulting in a mkv with only audio streams---rendering it unplayable.

If you still want a 2D mkv of that particular movie, then you either have to re-rip the disc again (this time selecting the 2D video option) or run the original 3D mkv thru another media re-encoding app (e.g. Handbrake) which will re-encode the video stream contained in the mkv to another (most popular h.264) resulting in a 2D mkv. The negative effect of that second option is compression---any form of compression of the video data will most certainly result in lesser video quality. Hope this helps you. :)

Edit: And in case you're wondering why is it impossible for MakeMKV to make a 3D mkv into a 2D mkv...MakeMKV only takes whatever video stream is selected (AVC, VC-1, MVC, etc.) and makes a 1:1 digital copy of it and places it in a digital wrapper which in this case is called a matroska container (mkv). MakeMKV does NOT alter the video in any shape or form (re-encode, compress, etc.)---it only creates an exact digital copy of the video stream from the disc and wraps it up in a mkv file.
Last edited by rexdragon on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

rexdragon wrote:
spl147 wrote:..so i loaded the 3d mkv into make mkv, unselected the mvc stream, and copied…the result was a non playable mkv……is this normal?
Ummm...I am no expert with MakeMKV but I know that MakeMKV will only create a single mkv with only 1 single video stream plus any number of audio streams originally selected. If you were to even select 2 video streams within that one disc (e.g. MVC 3D and maybe a regular AVC stream), makeMKV will create 2 mkvs as a result (one for each video stream). The first mkv you created contained only the MVC 3D video stream; so when you attempted to "convert" that 3D mkv to 2D (which by now you should know is impossible) through MakeMKV by "unselecting" the mvc stream, you essentially removed the only video stream from that mkv thus resulting in a mkv with only audio streams---rendering it unplayable.

If you still want a 2D mkv of that particular movie, then you either have to re-rip the disc again (this time selecting the 2D video option) or run the original 3D mkv thru another media re-encoding app (e.g. Handbrake) which will re-encode the video stream contained in the mkv to another (most popular h.264) resulting in a 2D mkv. The negative effect of that second option is compression---any form of compression of the video data will most certainly result in lesser video quality. Hope this helps you. :)

but it plays on a pc.....
twa000

Post by twa000 »

spl147 wrote:
rexdragon wrote:
:)
but it plays on a pc.....
So I guess the Dune 3D is confused by the MKV format/structure, and as the Dune can't play a 3D MKV, thats your problem.l
spl147

Post by spl147 »

mike admin wrote:

mike has stated otherwise......
twa000

Post by twa000 »

spl147 wrote:
mike admin wrote:

... but I am talking about the Dunes firmware.... at times (read often) HDI-Dune can write pretty dumb firmware.
Just because other Dunes can play 2D MKV's, doesn't mean that the 3D models can't screw up if they end up looking at a converted 3D - 2D movie, it just needs something not quite right for the Dune to screw up.
If they were that bright they would have 3D MKV's working by now.
Suggest you re-copy
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

spl147 wrote:
mike admin wrote:

You still haven't posted the results:

1. if you make an MKV file from 3D mkv, and then make 2D MKV form original media, do you get the same files or not? If the are different, how?

2. if you run the problem file through mkvmerge, do you get playable file as a result?
spl147

Post by spl147 »

mike admin wrote:

1. if you make an MKV file from 3D mkv, and then make 2D MKV form original media, do you get the same files or not? If the are different, how?

2. if you run the problem file through mkvmerge, do you get playable file as a result?
1: attached is the media info xml for the 2d mkv created from the 3d mkv, and the 2d mkv created from the 3d bluray same options in both files....

2: mkvmerge output is the same as the input, non playable!
Attachments
2d mkv from 3d mkv.xml
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
2d mkv from 3d bluray.xml
(3.03 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
spl147

Post by spl147 »

spl147 wrote:
mike admin wrote:

1: attached is the media info xml for the 2d mkv created from the 3d mkv, and the 2d mkv created from the 3d bluray same options in both files....

2: mkvmerge output is the same as the input, non playable!
any ideas on this yet?