Feature request: multi-task mode

Everything related to MakeMKV
galaktiker

Feature request: multi-task mode

Post by galaktiker »

Dear developer.

Please allow to convert to mkv several blue-ray films at once. Or plan several convertings. For example I need to convert 5-10 movies. My steps:

1) Setup converting details.
2) Start converting.
3) Return to the computer in several hours.
Woodstock

Re: Feature request: multi-task mode

Post by Woodstock »

If you are not on a Mac, you can simply run additional copies of MakeMKV, one for each rip. There are some contention issues right now, since all copies try to access all available drives during start-up, but they are manageable.

Why did I exclude the Mac? Only because there are some special things you have to do to start additional copies. It works there, too, so long as you follow the steps necessary.

When I get a new set of disks in with BD and DVD versions, I'll set up two copies running, one ripping the BD, the other the DVD (I combine the subtitles from DVD with the audio/video from the BD to make workable MP4 files with subtitles).
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

galaktiker wrote:Please allow to convert to mkv several blue-ray films at once. Or plan several convertings.
If you want to have control about what streams to include (like dropping audio description tracks), you can use the tool from my sig. If you want complete automation, search this forum for MakeMKV Batch Converter.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! »

Woodstock wrote:If you are not on a Mac, you can simply run additional copies of MakeMKV, one for each rip. There are some contention issues right now, since all copies try to access all available drives during start-up, but they are manageable.
Actually, that function is in the Mac version, too...
And yeah, it tries to mess with the drives, there, also.

Running 3 or 4 instances is quite possible, as long as you have enough RAM and the drives aren't all on the same bus.
(Ripping from 3 USB-based DVD-readers at the same time is kind of a bad idea)

And assuming that the computer has still more RAM, it's also possible to run programs such as Handbrake at the same time.
Mac Mini, 2005 with superdrive, 2GB RAM, 80GB SSD, Core2Duo 2.16GHz CPU...
2 x LG USB DVD-drives and 'old spiteful' an IDE-based DVD-reader from a desktop connected to the internals of an old FW-HDD.
Writes Sci-fi:
http://www.planetfurry.com/~anthony/