Titles and Chapters troubles

Everything related to MakeMKV
Geargr

Titles and Chapters troubles

Post by Geargr »

Hello all,

A newcomer to MakeMKV, for the past 20 days and have already my first question, although simple but could not find a proper answer in the subjects.

I have a Mini-series of 5 DVDs. The first 4 where converted with MakeMKV with no problem in chapters.

The 5th one includes all the Extras divided in small videos. The first menu (as per vlcsnap-00031.jpg included) contains three basic divisions and each division contains sub-divisions (as per vlcsnap-00032.jpg included). After running the software, I got 17 files of MKV ! I have to mention that when I loaded the DVD, the software found 17 files.

Is it possible using the MakeMKV to have a single mkv file with chapters where each video ends ?? or do I have to use another software to have a single file with chapters? BTW I used Handbrake afterwards and mounted the 17 mkv files "appending" them after the first, but the result is one mkv file (correct) with no chapters (wrong).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Geargr
Attachments
Pic 2
Pic 2
vlcsnap-00032.jpg (65.68 KiB) Viewed 8910 times
Pic 1
Pic 1
vlcsnap-00031.jpg (66.61 KiB) Viewed 8910 times
Woodstock

Re: Titles and Chapters troubles

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV turns DVD titles into MKV files... if the disk was mastered with one main title and the chapters (or collections of chapters) being "episodes" (some are that way), you'll get one file. Sometimes, you'll get a file that contains all extras of a certain type (say trailers for other features), along with files for each individual extra... It's all in how the DVD/BD authors laid things out.

There are other tools out there that will let you merge MKV files together like you want, but MakeMKV isn't going to do it for you.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

You'll want to use mkvtoolnix.

Add the first file, then Append the rest one by one.

SC

ps - On a different note, is that version of Shogun edited, or is it the full length version?
Geargr

Post by Geargr »

Smithcraft wrote:You'll want to use mkvtoolnix.

Add the first file, then Append the rest one by one.

SC

ps - On a different note, is that version of Shogun edited, or is it the full length version?
Thank you both for clarifying me that point. But is there any method to know in advance what will happen, reading the DVD/BD?

Smithcraft: I used mkvmerge as you mentioned, "Appending" each file, but I got no chapters (in the "auto" mode). Should I have to put in the timings for each?
It's a hell of a job!!

Thanks again for your time
Geargr

PS. It is the full length DVD(s). Not edited at all.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

You'll have to make the chapter times yourself. :(

SC

ps - Do you have the UPC code for that version? I can only find the edited versions.
Geargr

Post by Geargr »

Smithcraft wrote:You'll have to make the chapter times yourself. :(

SC

ps - Do you have the UPC code for that version? I can only find the edited versions.
Thanks Smithcraft. I was afraid of that !!

My Shogun version is the PAL region 2 one (bought at the time), but it is still there at an awfull price !!!
http://www.amazon.com/Shogun-Region-2-P ... hamberlain

Rgds,
Gear