*** Three user preferences required!!!! ***

Everything related to MakeMKV
mkanet

*** Three user preferences required!!!! ***

Post by mkanet »

Congratulations, you are almost done with the most important part of your software... reliability. However there are a few options which are REQUIRED to make this software the most popular software in the world. These relatively easy options will make MakeMKV much easier to use... that even my mom or dad can use!!!

1) Option under Preferences to: "Use AnyDVD-HD protection instead of native MakeMKV protection (if available)" and/or "Quietly disable AnyDVD-HD during converting a protected disk (when AnyDVD-HD is enable) and re-enable ANyDVD if it was enabled before. You should NEVER prompt a user that they already have AnyDVD-HD and to do extra manual steps to continue. (This should be automatic based on predefined user preferences).

2) Option to automatically hide small irrelevant VOB/M2TS files (not part of the main movie); only displaying the largest m2ts/vob media media files with most chapters. (99% of time, the largest m2ts/vob files with multiple chapters (based from information in IFO, INDEX.BDM files is all that most people need to see (filtering everything else out. However, in some circumstances when another VOB/M2TS file is needed, Users can temporarily "un-hide" other these files (such as theatrical release or proprietary video clips) with an available checkbox called, "Show All extra media files that were filtered out" in the audio/video stream selection screen. Something like this feature would be extremely helpful.

3) User preference to hide all subtitles and select a prefered audio format in order of priority:
a) DTS
b) DD
c) Truesound (uncompressed audio)

With these easy options to add in the next beta of MakeMKV, it will make it easier for even my mother to use your software and achieve the same result with less hassle.

Once these features are added; and remaining minor stability issues are resolved the BIG RELEASE OF MakeMKV will be available. This will be one of the most popular utilities in the world with these features!!

Sincerely (and thank you so much for your consideration to improve your software)
nadocrew

Re: *** Three user preferences required!!!! ***

Post by nadocrew »

Request 1 seems unnecessary. Makemkv and AnyDVD Hd are not made by the same developer(s). It is not necessary for Makemkv to have options for Anydvd hd users.

Request 2 already exists. If you select the minimum track length in the DVD preferences to something like 60 minutes, then you'll only get the main title.

Request 3 is a good idea. It would make selecting the audio tracks a lot easier. It would make sense to also have a subtitles setting as well. Maybe a selection for a language preference and toggle off all subtitles.
mkanet

Post by mkanet »

Yes, I had a feeling you might mentioned the first responses (I would do the same if I didnt want to do extra work/development to improve the software). I should have mentioned my predictions for your answers however, I didnt think it was necessary at the time:

#1: (AnyDVD-HD support) Of course MakeMKV and AnyDVD are two separate products. However, AnyDVD is a world-wide standard for people interested in dealing protection on discs. MakeMKV is not even released yet; with a very small user base. AnyDVD was important enough to add to your code to ask your users to disable it during MakeMKV usage. AnyDVD-HD is pretty much a standard on many machine interested in backing up DVD/Bluray; and, should be presumed there's a good chance its already installed.

Its just not a good idea to add extra work for your users who will most likely already have AnyDVD-HD active to tell them to manually disable AnyDVD every single time just to use MakeMKV, then re-enable anyDVD back. If you dont have the ability to cooperate with AnyDVD-HD to use their depcrption driver as a user-defined preference (which is most desirable), then at least temporary disable anyDVD if its detected. More people will start using MakeMKV if they see that that MakeMKV is "AnyDVD-HD friendly" (which is very respectable); and, not being "unfriendly" to AnyDVD-HD users by forcing them to disable AnyDVD-HD each time and re-enabling each time. This should be invisible for your users.... especially if you want to eventually charge people for the full version of MakeDMKV

#2: It appears that minimum track length is under the wrong tab. It should NOT be under "DVD". It should be under a general options which is clearly meant for both modern Bluray disc movies and older DVD titles. Can you please move this option to a user preference section which affects both Blu-ray and DVD (BASED ON MINUTES longer than 60 minutes... choosing a slightly higher value).

#3: I am glad you decided on this, as you know, people will eventually buy MakeMKV for how hassle-free it is; and you should count on the fact that they will most likely have AnyDVD-HD installed already; and, should accomodate for that.

Thanks again for improving your software to become a very desirable, hassle-free program!
nadocrew wrote:Request 1 seems unnecessary. Makemkv and AnyDVD Hd are not made by the same developer(s). It is not necessary for Makemkv to have options for Anydvd hd users.

Request 2 already exists. If you select the minimum track length in the DVD preferences to something like 60 minutes, then you'll only get the main title.

Request 3 is a good idea. It would make selecting the audio tracks a lot easier. It would make sense to also have a subtitles setting as well. Maybe a selection for a language preference and toggle off all subtitles.
mrbass

Post by mrbass »

mkanet wrote: However, AnyDVD is a world-wide standard for people interested in dealing protection on discs. ....... AnyDVD-HD is pretty much a standard on many machine interested in backing up DVD/Bluray; and, should be presumed there's a good chance its already installed.
AnyDVD world-wide standard...lol..brainwashed are we? If you can't right click AnyDVD and uncheck Autostart then not much hope now is there. Backing up Bluray is still relatively new and if you think $150 AnyDVD HD (109 euros) lifetime compared with $50 Makemkv lifetime that most will purchase the three times more expensive one then your on some other planet.

edit: DVDFab is $105 btw...so double.
mkanet

Post by mkanet »

I dont mean to provoke an argument.. but its sometimes a good idea to understand all the circumstances first. I've been using AnyDVD for years... and for the past two years for for blu-ray.

I should have been more clear... AnyDVD is a world-wide standard...... for people interested in unprotecting BD and well as legacy support for old fashioned DVD discs all in one package.. AnyDVD is unarguably popular enough for MakeMKV's author to make special accommodations to detect AnyDVD; however, instead of disabling anyDVD temporarily during the usage of MakeMKV, it was just easier (for the MakeMKV author) to tell the user to constantly disable/re-enable AnyDVD manually for every single movie; which is unreasonable if you want to use MakeMKV regularly; and AnyDVD-HD used for all BD disc playbacks. Many people have more than 1 or two bluray discs. Its definitely a better idea to have MakeMKV to use ANYDVD-HD's regularly updated engine to support unprotecting BD disks; since they have a much more experience and resources for doing this. Backing up bluray might be new for you, but it's already taking off all over the world; with no other replacement for what it does. Unless, you know of a software that does what AnyDVD-HD at the same level of features. MakeMKV should stick to what it does best and what people want to use it for... to just transcode a bluray disk/ripped disk and convert to MKV... getting into AnyDVD-HD's territory of unprotecting BD discs is probably not the smartest thing to do. You basically get what you pay for. It's also not smart to use mutliple utilities and extra unnecessary steps. There's a good reason why many people pay so much more money for AnyDVD-HD. Some people may understand this logic better than others. Its makes better sense to use relatively mature technology as opposed to doing it all over again to unprotect BD.
mrbass wrote:
mkanet wrote: However, AnyDVD is a world-wide standard for people interested in dealing protection on discs. ....... AnyDVD-HD is pretty much a standard on many machine interested in backing up DVD/Bluray; and, should be presumed there's a good chance its already installed.
AnyDVD world-wide standard...lol..brainwashed are we? If you can't right click AnyDVD and uncheck Autostart then not much hope now is there. Backing up Bluray is still relatively new and if you think $150 AnyDVD HD (109 euros) lifetime compared with $50 Makemkv lifetime that most will purchase the three times more expensive one then your on some other planet.

mrbass

Post by mrbass »

Neither do I intend to provoke an argument but this is like me asking over on doom9 forums to slysoft to detect presence of makemkv and disable makemkv's exclusive access to the bluray drive. It's not gonna happen and I'd be probably get a strike for even asking a ludicrous question in the first place. Let's see back in 1997 or 1998 I started backing up DVDs. Well 12 years later people are still backing up their DVD collections and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Same with bluray you may have started backing up bluray two years ago but the masses haven't started yet. I believe we're still in 1999 or 2000 with respect to backing up blurays if compared to where dvd backup was back in the day.

I just fail to see the average joe having $150 anydvd hd and $50 makemkv installed. Just not realistic. At this point in time there is no reason to use anydvd hd. Sure prior to October 2009 there may have been with a few BD+ discs but that was about it. Anydvd hd was always designed as an on-the-fly decrypter and that confuses a lot of people as the concept is so foreign to them. So they added a copy to hd option so people are like ..see it's a ripper. If makemkv wanted to just do conversion of unencrypted blurays then they could have but instead they chose to invest heavily into being able to decrypt too. Makemkv is the complete package for bluray ripping to mkv and anydvd hd is a decrypter so choose your preference.

From a marketing standpoint it is 100% useless for anydvd or makemkv to enable options for one another. "required!!!!" - those are your required preferences not the masses.

edit:
"MakeMKV should stick to what it does best and what people want to use it for... to just transcode a bluray disk/ripped disk and convert to MKV... getting into AnyDVD-HD's territory of unprotecting BD discs is probably not the smartest thing to do."
never knew it was an owned territory. Once again you are brainwashed if you buy into all that marketing hype ...I see it all the time on videohelp and other forums. That is a pretty audacious thing telling makemkv what it should and shouldn't do. I say to heck with anydvd hd ...matter of fact..I should start bashing it on my website looks like it's the only way to save the masses from the brainwashing of the $150 overpriced piece of software. But then again no attention might be the better strategy. Hmmm I'll have to mull on that one.

btw, I'm a mac user and have been for 4+ years. So I want a 100% Mac conversion process and now it's finally come true thanks to makemkv.
Last edited by mrbass on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
skittle

Post by skittle »

mrbass wrote:

MakeMKV is the only option besides a few basic open source applications available on linux
mkanet

Post by mkanet »

Yeah, thats the whole reason why I was hoping to get MakeMKV as automatical as possible (with least amount of unnecessary steps/hassle as possible); considering there's a good chance there will be AnyDVD-HD users for bluray who actively use AnyDVD-HD. Asking to disable/re-enable for every single disk for a feature that's already on most machines is just not that efficient; plus as mentioned before, AnyDVD-HD does a much better job for keeping up-to-date BD+ protection removal already.

Bottom line, it just requires a little bit more work from the MakeMKV author to make his software as hassle-free as possible... taking the extra work away from disabling/re-enabling anydvd-hd from the typical user who has bluray ripping/playback on their PC; or simplly using the more supiror BD+ protection removal from AnyDVD-HD (if available).. if not, then to revert to MakeMKV's native BD+ protection removal.
skittle wrote:
mrbass wrote:

MakeMKV is the only option besides a few basic open source applications available on linux
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@mkanet

Hi!

As a fellow member of this forum, I'd like to suggest a couple of things to you:

1) These are the "MakeMKV Forums" (PC, LINUX, and Mac), for discussion of using and improving MakeMKV - and not for touting commercial products sold by anyone other than the authors of MakeMKV. Your reference to anticipating (negative) responses exposes your initial post to this thread as being intentionally provocative and baiting, an attempt at starting a flame war.

2) Based on the thread you started less than a week ago at the SlySoft forum, it's apparent that you don't have a very full understanding of how MakeMKV works:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p ... ostcount=1

FYI - For generation of "movie-only", by transparently removing copy protection and constructing new playlists, MakeMKV makes it extremely obvious as to which "Title" represents the main movie (By showing filesize, number of chapters, duration, etc.)

3) You apparently don't have a background in business or marketing. If you did, you'd surely understand that the only people who "love" a monopoly are the monopolists, as they continue to enjoy artificially high selling prices due to lack of competition! In this case, had it not been for the introduction and continuing extremely professional development of MakeMKV, it's we the users who would continue to suffer the consequences of an "only use this" mentality.

I don't want to sound like a MakeMKV salesman (Which I'm not) but MakeMKV does several things and does them all extremely well - and it does these things under Windows, Linux and Mac O/Ss!

Presently, MakeMKV is capable of processing all LEGITIMATE, COMMERCIAL BluRay discs (read between the lines), including those containing "BD+" enhanced protection and the latest "keys"

MakeMKV is also capable of processing virtually all LEGITIMATE, COMMERCIAL standard DVDs - and without nearly as many updates as seem to be required by the programs that compete in this arena

Make MKV has recently added full disc still-encrypted BluRay backup, streaming, and AVCHD processing. It doesn't take too much imagination on my part to envision what other enhancements may be forthcoming in the not too distant future.

I seem to have gotten a bit carried away, so let me just reiterate my primary point - These are the "MakeMKV Forums" (PC, LINUX, and Mac), for discussion of using and improving MakeMKV - and not for touting commercial products sold by anyone other than the authors of MakeMKV.
mkanet

Post by mkanet »

Interesting post. It's not my place to judge other people; nor yours. However, I do understand your effort to "try" to help. I was just looking for ways to improve MakeMKV from a fresh perspective; instead of hearing praises from fanboys only. One of my suggestions was already agreed as a good feature suggestion.

There are people who use AnyDVD-HD for legitimate purposes; and, its a good idea to understand it's benefits. It simply backs up your discs and/or plays them back with less issues related to encryption. MakeMKV has a lot of potential; but, it appears to have a different focus... suggested by it's own name... MakeMKV. When MakeMKV contains proprietary code specifically identifying a popular software such as AnyDVD-HD, it is already getting into the territory of another product thats used world-wide for quite some time. I simply suggested to make it easier for MakeMKV users; by having both software coexist with each other with the least amount of hassle for the user; which can easily be done. Judging a person or their intentions wrongfully doesnt really help anyone here. I was just offering suggestions to focus on MakeMKV do what it's name suggests with hassle-free work from a user that most likely may have a popular product already installed; instead of making it more difficult for the user. If the creator of MakeMKV doesnt feel its necessary to accommodate users who have a common piece of software; that's his prerogative; not necessarily what some people would prefer. I just posted here since it made sense to put a post in a section talking about the current beta status of MakeMKV (which has room to take useful suggestions; which not everyone may agree with).

Thanks for trying to help, but I think I was able to at at least explain the logic behind why my intention was to improve the user's experience with the least amount of extra "work-arounds" or extra unnecessary steps.

setarip_old wrote:@mkanet

Hi!

As a fellow member of this forum, I'd like to suggest a couple of things to you:

1) These are the "MakeMKV Forums" (PC, LINUX, and Mac), for discussion of using and improving MakeMKV - and not for touting commercial products sold by anyone other than the authors of MakeMKV. Your reference to anticipating (negative) responses exposes your initial post to this thread as being intentionally provocative and baiting, an attempt at starting a flame war.

2) Based on the thread you started less than a week ago at the SlySoft forum, it's apparent that you don't have a very full understanding of how MakeMKV works:

FYI - For generation of "movie-only", by transparently removing copy protection and constructing new playlists, MakeMKV makes it extremely obvious as to which "Title" represents the main movie (By showing filesize, number of chapters, duration, etc.)

3) You apparently don't have a background in business or marketing. If you did, you'd surely understand that the only people who "love" a monopoly are the monopolists, as they continue to enjoy artificially high selling prices due to lack of competition! In this case, had it not been for the introduction and continuing extremely professional development of MakeMKV, it's we the users who would continue to suffer the consequences of an "only use this" mentality.

I don't want to sound like a MakeMKV salesman (Which I'm not) but MakeMKV does several things and does them all extremely well - and it does these things under Windows, Linux and Mac O/Ss!

Presently, MakeMKV is capable of processing all LEGITIMATE, COMMERCIAL BluRay discs (read between the lines), including those containing "BD+" enhanced protection and the latest "keys"

MakeMKV is also capable of processing virtually all LEGITIMATE, COMMERCIAL standard DVDs - and without nearly as many updates as seem to be required by the programs that compete in this arena

Make MKV has recently added full disc still-encrypted BluRay backup, streaming, and AVCHD processing. It doesn't take too much imagination on my part to envision what other enhancements may be forthcoming in the not too distant future.

I seem to have gotten a bit carried away, so let me just reiterate my primary point - These are the "MakeMKV Forums" (PC, LINUX, and Mac), for discussion of using and improving MakeMKV - and not for touting commercial products sold by anyone other than the authors of MakeMKV.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

instead of hearing praises from fanboys only

One doesn't have to be a "fanboy", or called any other derogatory name, to appreciate both a quality product and an author who is responsive to the suggestions of its users.

BTW - The last time I was only a boy, television had yet to be invented ;>}

I do understand your effort to "try" to help.
I'm pleased to hear that. Hopefully, you now have a better understanding of how to use MakeMKV than when you made your January 31 post at the SlySoft forum at:

I'm sure if "Mike Admin" finds it necessary, he'll respond further...
mkanet

Post by mkanet »

I think you might be taking this way to seriously.. hence, the label fanboy. Im just trying to offer suggestions that will most definitely improve the ease of use of the product for several potential users. I dont see any compelling reason why making the product easier to use and support another popular product a bad suggestion. I'm sure the last thing a software developer wants to hear is how perfect the product is from people that already use it (he already knows that) :)

It doesnt make sense to prevent/limit possible functionality that can help potential users out; especially if it can open up the possibilty of more users using the product. It's a good idea to think outside the box for a broader audience. I already had one great idea, which will be added to a later version. It just make take some time to think about the other possibilities (or something similar).

Instead of putting that much effort and time into discrediting my suggestions by hunting down URLs from other websites, it would be great to think of other useful ways to help out in respect to features that help improve the usability of the MakeMKV. Bottomline, we both want MakeMKV to succeed; but, the autor cant possibly think of all the ideas on his own. If MakeMKV supports a popular product; I think that's a good thing, not a bad thing. I'm sure AdminMike doesnt need for you to speak on his behalf; I would prefer that as well. If it turns out that there's a very good reason why it can't be done from a technical or legal limitation, I'd prefer to hear it from someone that actually makes that decision.

PS: Feel free to get in the last word, but I feel like I have said what needs to be said; and, hoping MakeMKV will continue to take new suggestions from NEW USERS to help broaden the MakeMKV customer base; especially, when it doesnt interfere with current functionality/stability (and relatively easy to do).
setarip_old wrote:
instead of hearing praises from fanboys only

One doesn't have to be a "fanboy", or called any other derogatory name, to appreciate both a quality product and an author who is responsive to the suggestions of its users.

BTW - The last time I was only a boy, television had yet to be invented ;>}

I do understand your effort to "try" to help.
I'm pleased to hear that. Hopefully, you now have a better understanding of how to use MakeMKV than when you made your January 31 post at the SlySoft forum at:

I'm sure if "Mike Admin" finds it necessary, he'll respond further...
nadocrew

Post by nadocrew »

This thread is ridiculous. Arguing over a future Makemkv feature is laughable. None of us have any idea what Makemkv will do in the future. We aren't the developers.

Second of all I have no impact on what MakeMKV will do with future releases. I was just weighing in on your suggestions. I wouldn't have commented if I thought it would start a stupid argument.
Yes, I had a feeling you might mentioned the first responses (I would do the same if I didnt want to do extra work/development to improve the software). I should have mentioned my predictions for your answers however, I didnt think it was necessary at the time:

#1: (AnyDVD-HD support) Of course MakeMKV and AnyDVD are two separate products. However, AnyDVD is a world-wide standard for people interested in dealing protection on discs. MakeMKV is not even released yet; with a very small user base. AnyDVD was important enough to add to your code to ask your users to disable it during MakeMKV usage. AnyDVD-HD is pretty much a standard on many machine interested in backing up DVD/Bluray; and, should be presumed there's a good chance its already installed.

Its just not a good idea to add extra work for your users who will most likely already have AnyDVD-HD active to tell them to manually disable AnyDVD every single time just to use MakeMKV, then re-enable anyDVD back. If you dont have the ability to cooperate with AnyDVD-HD to use their depcrption driver as a user-defined preference (which is most desirable), then at least temporary disable anyDVD if its detected. More people will start using MakeMKV if they see that that MakeMKV is "AnyDVD-HD friendly" (which is very respectable); and, not being "unfriendly" to AnyDVD-HD users by forcing them to disable AnyDVD-HD each time and re-enabling each time. This should be invisible for your users.... especially if you want to eventually charge people for the full version of MakeDMKV

#2: It appears that minimum track length is under the wrong tab. It should NOT be under "DVD". It should be under a general options which is clearly meant for both modern Bluray disc movies and older DVD titles. Can you please move this option to a user preference section which affects both Blu-ray and DVD (BASED ON MINUTES longer than 60 minutes... choosing a slightly higher value).

#3: I am glad you decided on this, as you know, people will eventually buy MakeMKV for how hassle-free it is; and you should count on the fact that they will most likely have AnyDVD-HD installed already; and, should accomodate for that.

Thanks again for improving your software to become a very desirable, hassle-free program!
mkanet

Post by mkanet »

Oopps.. newbie mistake. Im brand new to MakeMKV. I just thought this is where to put feature suggestions to help improve the product. I had no Idea I would get harrassed for doing so. Thanks for letting me know!
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

mrbass wrote:Neither do I intend to provoke an argument but this is like me asking over on doom9 forums to slysoft to detect presence of makemkv and disable makemkv's exclusive access to the bluray drive.
mrbass wrote:From a marketing standpoint it is 100% useless for anydvd or makemkv to enable options for one another. "required!!!!" - those are your required preferences not the masses.
I think you're missing the point. MakeMKV is already detecting the presence of AnyDVD, and it asks the user to disable it. So, the detecting that you say shouldn't be done, is already being done. All the OP is asking for, is an option to disable that detection.