Feature Suggestion

Everything related to MakeMKV
Jyunte

Feature Suggestion

Post by Jyunte »

More often than not (in my case, anyway), makemkv does not pick up the title of the disk I'm ripping, and uses "title00.mkv). This is probably because I'm not ripping the entire disk, just the main feature. What's strange, is that the software shows the name of the disk in the right-most panel of the GUI, under "Source Information".

What would be nice, is for the GUI to display the Output folder for the MKV file (as it does now), but also have a second box which displays only the name of the file that will be created. The user could overwrite the default name (whatever makemkv puts in there from its attempt to read the disk) with a title of his/her own, or keep the default filename.
Woodstock

Re: Feature Suggestion

Post by Woodstock »

If you turn on "Expert Mode" (Preferences->General), a lot of options become available. Including the ability to see/change the output file name (pull-down in the button next to the name field you refer to).

If you have the disk (rather than a title) highlighted on the left, the name field will affect the names of all the titles that have not been manually set, and the file name generated is based upon the name you set. It's kind of hard to explain without doing it....
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Jyunte

Post by Jyunte »

Thanks for the info.

The pulldown box for the name does change the name, but it's (somewhat) ignored, as it adds "_t00" to the end of whatever is put in there. My goal is to be able to name the file as I'd like, without having to go back later and edit the name.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Another popular request is to not put _ in place of spaces when generating the name... or at least the option to not do that.

Remember that copy/paste does work for these edit boxes in the mean time.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

Woodstock wrote:Another popular request is to not put _ in place of spaces when generating the name... or at least the option to not do that.
Keep in mind that on a Unix/Linux system, spaces in directory, and file, names are a no-no. Specifically when a program is operated from a command line. Spaces are command line delimiters. The use of the _ characters is a way to indicate spaces. So, the option request would be best.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

As someone who deals with Linux file servers for Windows users, yes, spaces can be a pain for CLI access, but can be dealt with. They're also a pain for Windows CLI access.

But a lot of users don't give a crap about what is a pain for us, underscores are ugly and must die a horrible death! :)
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

Woodstock wrote:But a lot of users don't give a crap about what is a pain for us, underscores are ugly and must die a horrible death! :)
I think underscores are great. I use them all the time and have done so for decades.