DVDs no longer recognized by MakeMKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
alaskaguy

DVDs no longer recognized by MakeMKV

Post by alaskaguy »

Well, I've discovered MakeMKV a few days ago and copied maybe 75 DVDs without problem. Today I started my PC, started MakeMKV and this is what happened:

I have two drives. An Asus DVD Drive and LG Blu-Ray drive. Both appear in MakeMKV .. so the software realizes that there are two drives. When I insert a BluRay everything works fine. The software inspects the discs and copies it. But as soon as I put in a DVD .. nothing works. Instead inspecting the disc the progress bars instantly get completely green. The symbolic drive graphic in the software shows a turning disc .. endlessly .. but nothing happens. Open disc and all options are gray. The drive drop-down menue turns grey. Puting in a BD again everything works fine. It's only a problem with DVDs. I've tried out several .. even those which worked fine yesterday.

Right now I've re-installed Windows (10 64 bit). First thing I did was to re-install MakeMKV but the problem persists. So, it's not a Windows problem and it isn't a disc problem. It's also not a drive problem because Blu-Rays work great. I have no idea what else I could do. I was sure everything would work after a Windows re-install. Anybody has any idea? Thanks for your time.
Woodstock

Re: DVDs no longer recognized by MakeMKV

Post by Woodstock »

Make sure you do not have an "Auto Play" application for DVD active. It could be that Windows is recognizing the DVD, and trying to start its default player.

The best policy, in any case, is to disable all auto-play features in Windows.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
alaskaguy

Post by alaskaguy »

Thank you so much Woodstock for your fast reply. But it didn't work. I switched off all Windows autoplay functions. But still .. nothing.

Danm. It worked yesterday. I shut down the PC and the very next day nothing works? How can that be? No new software installed, no changes made after I've ripped the last DVD yesterday.
MakeMKV shows everything: Seaching device (Showing the drive with the DVD). Searching drive (Which shows instantly a green bar without searching at all).

If it wouldn't find the drives I would understand but it's all there. But it doesn't analyse the DVD. And as soon as it shows "Searching source" (Which it doesn't) all options are grayed out and I can do nothing.

Again .. BluRays work. So, can't be a hardware problem.
Again .. I've reinstalled Windows and nothing else but MakeMKV. So, can't be a software problem

Uhhhhh !!!!!!!!
alaskaguy

Post by alaskaguy »

Very disappointing. Programm stopped working without reason. No support from the maker. Guess I have to save my 50 $.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That's entirely your right, but I cannot reproduce the problem you're experiencing, so I can't help. Whether or not the author (Mike) can, I don't know; I haven't seen him post anything in the past week, and he's not here every day.

Maybe if you had debug logging turned on an posted the log from when you tried to get it to read a DVD, there might be something in that. Anything else is speculation, and you've already seen my best guess.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Crtguy

Post by Crtguy »

Have you loaded the DVD in each drive?
Airdios

Post by Airdios »

Have you tried running MakeMKV as admin? I had the same issue and that worked for me.