Reducing DTS-HD track to core AFTER ripping

Everything related to MakeMKV
cpaqf1

Reducing DTS-HD track to core AFTER ripping

Post by cpaqf1 »

Hi,

Quick question, for movies that require a lot of a audio sync work by MakeMKV (example seamless branching BDs), is it safe to reduce the DTS-HD track to core after ripping it with MakeMKV or will that new track lose the syncing work done by MakeMKV? I would test it, but I'd have too many files to test, and I wanna batch process them with mkvmerge.

thanks
Woodstock

Re: Reducing DTS-HD track to core AFTER ripping

Post by Woodstock »

The core should not lose sync just because you removed the loss-less part. The adjustments made to the audio sync make the audio and video tracks the same length.

Normally, though, MakeMKV can give you two tracks on an DTS-HD, the "core" and the loss-less versions, because of limitations in the MKV format. I configure my copy to include both tracks (actually, ALL audio tracks) so that I can have options later.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
cpaqf1

Post by cpaqf1 »

Woodstock wrote:The core should not lose sync just because you removed the loss-less part. The adjustments made to the audio sync make the audio and video tracks the same length.

Normally, though, MakeMKV can give you two tracks on an DTS-HD, the "core" and the loss-less versions, because of limitations in the MKV format. I configure my copy to include both tracks (actually, ALL audio tracks) so that I can have options later.
okay thank you,

do you happen to know which track MakeMKV cuts to make them the same length ? audio / video
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV reports sync adjustments in the log, and what it did about them, like this:

Code: Select all

004008:0010 AV sync issue in stream 2 at 0:01:25.085 with duration of 7ms : encountered overlapping frame, audio skew is +35ms
004008:0010 AV sync issue in stream 2 at 0:01:25.120 with duration of 32ms : 1 frame(s) dropped to reduce audio skew to +3ms
004008:0010 AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:01:25.085 with duration of 0.833ms : 1 frame(s) dropped to reduce audio skew to +0ms
Usually it involves dropping just one or two "frames" from the audio tracks.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging