dvd to mkv at 50% size....

Everything related to MakeMKV
belamkv

dvd to mkv at 50% size....

Post by belamkv »

I am trying to rip my old dvd's. I managed to do it with The matrix, but it is full window size and about 6GB.
I want to make it a smaller window size so that I can reduce the file size, say 50%...
Do I have to use any additional software to do the resizing and cropping, since it is a wide screen version???

I thank you very much for your help.....
setarip_old

Re: dvd to mkv at 50% size....

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

MakeMKV does not reduce filesize.

BEFORE using MakeMKV, use a ripping/compressing program, such as DVD Shrink, DVD95Copy FreeRipper or DVDFabHD to reduce to the desired size. Then use MakeMKV to convert to an .MKV file. You can also use most of these programs (including MakeMKV) to delete audiostreams and/or subtitle streams that you don't want/need to retain... (all freeware)

MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

The other approach you can take is once you have the .mkv produced my MakeMKV you can use a freeware such as Quick AVI Creator to convert it to either .mkv or .avi at reduced bit rate. But if you are going to convert to standard .avi then you might as well just put the DVD main movie through AutoGK.

If you have to deal with subtitles, Quick AVI Creator lets you edit the AviSynth script using AvsP. So if you want to do something like burn in idx/sub subs, it's a couple of lines added to the script. I don't know how good a quality you get when you use the rippers to reduce the file size as I haven't tried it that way. I do know even with one pass encoding, the .mkv output of Quick AVI Creator using .x264 encoder is very good. I use it when I have to burn in the subs. Otherwise I use the backup function of MakeMKV then use BD Rebuilder to shrink it. Depends how much a stickler you are for quality. If you have a 5 foot wide HDTV etc..

Mine is a CRT HDTV so I can get by with BD Rebuilder "good" profile abr one pass. It can shrink a 20+ GB main movie to a bit under 8 GB within the play time of the video. Very fast. Only real shortcoming for me is I can't burn in subs with it.
moviebuff

Post by moviebuff »

I reduce the file size of all my blu ray and dvd rips using handbrake. First I create the Mkv with Make mkv and then use Handbrake to shrink it. It is an amazing free tool that will reduce file size substantially with little quality loss. Its very easy to use and really an amazing encoding program.
belamkv

Post by belamkv »

ok guys, thanks for your help!!!!

this is going to take me longer than expected......
things are a little bit more complicated....
robertw477

Post by robertw477 »

I took a few MKV files and reprocessed using Handbrake for high quality (Apple TV setting) in Handbrake. The files reduced in size by 50% or more however even on a I5 processor with a few gigs of memory running only Handbrake this process took many hours to achieve. My question is why rip to the MKV file first before using Handbrake. Is there a benefit to this? I know you need a ripper to remove the encryption but dvd shrink or dvd decrypter can do that?

Rob
moviebuff

Post by moviebuff »

I find Make Mkv very easy to use and works wonderfully to strip down the blu ray or dvd to just the movie and no extra fluff. Hardly ever have a problem removing the encryption either. Handbrake does take a long time but well worth it , reduces a 24gb blu ray down to less than 4gb. All I do is queue my tv shows and movies and leave it going while im at work and overnite. Also Handbrake is free to use also )
skittle

Post by skittle »

I think I should mention here that Handbrake is not some magical tool. It is just a gui (albeit a nice one) for ffmpeg/x264. Really all of the credit should be going towards x264 as thats where the magic happens ;)
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@robertw477

Hi!
My question is why rip to the MKV file first

I guess you didn't read my first post to this thread, where I said the following in response to those who have a need or desire to compress their backup videos:
MakeMKV does not reduce filesize.

BEFORE using MakeMKV, use a ripping/compressing program, such as DVD Shrink, DVD95Copy FreeRipper or DVDFabHD to reduce to the desired size. Then use MakeMKV to convert to an .MKV file. You can also use most of these programs (including MakeMKV) to delete audiostreams and/or subtitle streams that you don't want/need to retain... (all freeware)

moviebuff

Post by moviebuff »

skittle wrote:I think I should mention here that Handbrake is not some magical tool. It is just a gui (albeit a nice one) for ffmpeg/x264. Really all of the credit should be going towards x264 as thats where the magic happens ;)
Well that magical gui then ) It sure does a good job either way you crank it. Just suggesting a tool to help him with compression that is easy to use and free.
inman2787

How to burn mkv to dvd

Post by inman2787 »

By the way,i like to ask how to burn mkv files to dvd.Someone recommended WianAVI and ConvertXtoDVD,any other better program can convert video files to dvd without a loss of quality.Thanks in advance. :D
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@inman2787

Try my favorite, "multiAVCHD"...