3D MVC Option

Everything related to MakeMKV
ltm82

Re: 3D MVC Option

Post by ltm82 »

Hi to All,

Could you help me to understand the difference between MK3D and the MKV MVC created by MakeMKV?

Are they two differents standard?

Do you know what sw creates MK3D files?

Thanks for your help

Ltm82
ant75

Post by ant75 »

MK3D is for older types of 3D content which can be displayed a number of different ways. It is basically a normal MKV file which has an additional flag added that indicates how the 3D content is to be displayed. They call it StereoMode flag.

http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html

Stereo-3D video mode:
0: mono
1: side by side (left eye is first)
2: top-bottom (right eye is first)
3: top-bottom (left eye is first)
4: checkboard (right is first)
5: checkboard (left is first)
6: row interleaved (right is first)
7: row interleaved (left is first)
8: column interleaved (right is first)
9: column interleaved (left is first)
10: anaglyph (cyan/red)
11: side by side (right eye is first)
12: anaglyph (green/magenta)
13 both eyes laced in one Block (left eye is first)
14 both eyes laced in one Block (right eye is first))

Bluray MVC 3D content is not listed as one of the modes above. The reason for this is it is not needed. Bluray 3D has been standardized and is always in MVC format or it cannot be sold as "Bluray 3d". Therefore, MVC content is always in the same format and does not need an extra flag telling a player that it is 3D and how to play the content.

The reason they have standardized on MVC is because it is 100% backward compatible with 2D. 3D MVC content can always be displayed in 2D without any re encode or complicated settings. This is not the case with Side by Side or other 3D content types.

MakeMKV leaves 3D content in the MVC source format straight from the blu ray without any re encoding! Full quality 1080p for each eye! It just raps the video and audio data into a MKV container neatly and quickly. Great!

However, if you have older 3D content from DVD's etc before the blu ray MVC standardization.... Then that's when you will need the MK3D format. So indeed it has its place and need.

Stereoscopic player supports a number of 3D formats and if you have older content then it will accommodate for sure. It also plays Bluray MVC 3D content from the MKV containers that MakeMKV creates as well. I am not sure if Stereoscopic player supports the MK3D standard stereo flags automatically but it would be good if it did. You can manually set the source format type if it doesn't.

You can create MKV's that contain the stereo flags with MKVtoolnix. Look under "Format Specific Options" then "Stereoscopy".

I have had success playing 3D content in Stereoscopic Player using checkerboard mode or (3D Ready DLP-TV) as they call it. You must manually set you 3D TV to checkerboard mode as well. See your TV manual. This is not the same as HDMI 1.4 mode which is automatic for modern TVs and is what bluray 3D uses by default. (Power DVD) Stereoscopic Player at present doesn't support HDMI 1.4 properly. The Nividia mode as per a previous post didn't work for me. It automatically turns on the 3D and glasses via HDMI 1.4 but doesn't play properly in 3D because the picture is in Over Under Format for some reason?
jares

Post by jares »

I tried to get stereoscopic player to work but no success.
When I select nvidia vision in stereoscopic player, I get upper/lower split screen format.
I have asus GT-610 card and have the latest driver installed and 3d vision enabled.

Any ideas?
ltm82

Post by ltm82 »

Hi to All,

I have tried to start an MKV 3D created by MakeMKV with Stereoscopic Player without success.

I don't understand if i need to change some configuration inside the options of Stereoscopic Player.

When i opened the movie in Stereoscopic player for the first time starts in 3d anaglyph mode. I don't know how i have to setup the player.

I use my laptop connected by HDMI to my Yamaha HT and then to my Panasonic VT30.

Ltm82
shanec

Post by shanec »

ltm82 wrote:Hi to All,

I have tried to start an MKV 3D created by MakeMKV with Stereoscopic Player without success.

I don't understand if i need to change some configuration inside the options of Stereoscopic Player.

When i opened the movie in Stereoscopic player for the first time starts in 3d anaglyph mode. I don't know how i have to setup the player.

I use my laptop connected by HDMI to my Yamaha HT and then to my Panasonic VT30.

Ltm82
Do you have a supported hardware configuration on your computer? Nvidia 3DVision or AMD somethingarather is, other video chipsets like Intel HD 3000/4000 etc are not (at least not yet, developer has previously indicated he is working on it).

I've already posted on these forums about how you need a 3DPlay if you have a Nvidia chipset on your laptop earlier in this thread or a similar one. Play with the settings, there arent that many options related to 3D output method...
ltm82

Post by ltm82 »

Hi to All,

My laptop has installed the adapter "intel hd graphics 3000".
But I have also tried with a laptop with a AMD Radeon Card 6650M and the result is the same. If i Set to use "AMD Stereo Driver" in the stereoscopic player options i get an error when i set to use the Full Screen.

I don't understand if i the 3D is detected automatically by TV or i need to setup something inside the player.

Could someone explain?

For "Mike Admin" : could you help us to understand how we can use MKV MVC extracted with MakeMKV? How do you make test in your enviroment?

ltm82
ltm82

Post by ltm82 »

ant75 wrote:MK3D is for older types of 3D content which can be displayed a number of different ways. It is basically a normal MKV file which has an additional flag added that indicates how the 3D content is to be displayed. They call it StereoMode flag.

Hi Ant75,

Thanks a lot for your information.

Ltm82
shanec

Post by shanec »

ltm82 wrote:Hi to All,

My laptop has installed the adapter "intel hd graphics 3000".
But I have also tried with a laptop with a AMD Radeon Card 6650M and the result is the same. If i Set to use "AMD Stereo Driver" in the stereoscopic player options i get an error when i set to use the Full Screen.

I don't understand if i the 3D is detected automatically by TV or i need to setup something inside the player.

Could someone explain?

For "Mike Admin" : could you help us to understand how we can use MKV MVC extracted with MakeMKV? How do you make test in your enviroment?

ltm82
I can only say that I have personally using my main pc with a Nvidia GTX680 video card in it and the latest drivers + the 3dplay trial installed gotten stereoscopic to playback the makemkv 3D MKV files perfectly. You have to make sure you have ffdshow installed for the audio part too. I had email with Peter asking him about support for Intel HD 3000 to do framepacked over HDMI 1.4 and he said it is not supported yet. He said the Nvidia driver and the AMD Stereo ones should work though.

I would use google and research if your particular AMD card can do 3D out the HDMI port on your laptop if it were me.
ltm82

Post by ltm82 »

I have found this link http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon ... 962.0.html

it's seems to have inside UVD3 decoder:

The new UVD3 video decoder supports the decoding of MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, Flash and now also Multi-View Codec (MVC) and MPEG-4 part 2 (DivX, xVid) HD videos on the graphics card.
ant75

Post by ant75 »

I have not had any luck getting Stereoscopic player to play back 3D content automatically using HDMI 1.4. Apparently, the Nividia setting is supposed to do this. In my case it did indeed automatically turn on the TV to 3D mode but the output was in the over and under format which was completely wrong. Obviously, the 3d didn't work.

I solved the problem by using checkerboard mode. Open a MKV MVC 3D file created with MakeMKV with Stereoscopic player. (Version 1.9.6 and above) It will automatically set the 3D source settings because MVC 3D is standardized and needs no manual source settings.

It will play back in Anaglyph output mode by default. (Old type of RED BLUE colored 3D - Horrible - But works on all displays...) You must set the output 3D mode to match your 3D setup. Most common setups these days are 3D computer displays with glasses or TV's with glasses. Doesn't matter what type - polarized or shutter glasses - TV takes care of this exactness.

So set the output mode! Checkerboard mode (3D Ready DLP) worked for me really well. It's not automatic like HDMI 1.4 (Blurays use this) but has excellent picture quality (better than side by side or over under formats) and will work with older graphics cards that don't support HDMI 1.4 options, just as the side by side formats do. (Many on-board solutions like Intel 3000...... fall into this category...)

You must set checkerboard mode in Stereoscopic player output AND on your 3D display. Most 3D TV's or displays have a number of options for manually setting 3D display modes. See your TV manual.....

Happy viewing....
ltm82

Post by ltm82 »

@Ant75

I would like to know your opinion about Stereoscopics player. In particular if you consider the MKV 3D read by Stereoscopic player equal to original BD3D read by Powerdvd12 for example.

thanks a lot

ltm82
phant0m

Post by phant0m »

makemkv 3d-mkv shows 1 video stream with mediainfo:

ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Stereo High@L4.1 / High@L4.1
MultiView_Count : 2
Format settings, CABAC : Ja
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 2h 3min
Bit rate mode : variabel
Bit rate : 35,8 Mbps
Width : 1 920 Pixel
Height : 1 080 Pixel
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : konstant
Frame rate : 23,976 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : progressiv
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.720
Stream size : 30,9 GiB (96%)
Language : Englisch
Default : Nein
Forced : Nein

multiview count is set 2 ...
If I get it right MVC is a just Multiangle AVC version?
so I suggest most of the players actually simply don't display the second 'angle' overlay for getting the 3rd dimension,
could it be forced to be displayed anyway?

regards
htdonk

Post by htdonk »

phant0m wrote:could it be forced to be displayed anyway?
You need a capable player for this. Currently only products I know to support playback of MakeMKV MVC-files in true 3D are:

Stereoscopic Player (PC software)
Mede8er MED600X3D & MED1000X3D (Network media streamers)
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

phant0m wrote:multiview count is set 2 ...
If I get it right MVC is a just Multiangle AVC version?
No. The second view depends on the first - MVC requires explicit player support, it's not as simple as displaying a second, independent AVC stream…
xbmcuser123

Post by xbmcuser123 »

Hi,
I am currently using intel graphics HD2000.
I made a few 3D MKV with makemkv but I cannot get any of them to work properly.
I use a VT50 panasonic TV.
I understood that currently Intel Graphics are not supported.
So, shall I wait for Intel HD graphics support or is there any workaround that works ?
Thanks for your help

I got an answer from stereoscopic player team, they are about to release a version for Intel Graphics.
Last edited by xbmcuser123 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.