Remake .mkv?

Everything related to MakeMKV
iso13

Remake .mkv?

Post by iso13 »

Can you edit the .mkv file created from makemkv? Basically, I want to remove the extra subtitles which I forgot to uncheck when I created the .mkv.
Danger

Re: Remake .mkv?

Post by Danger »

You can but it takes about the same amount of time to remux and take the subs out as it does to run the DVD through MakeMKV again and unselect the subs.

Now if for some reason you don't have the DVD currently available to you, say you loaned it to a friend *nudge nudge wink wink*
Run MKVMerge GUI (if you don't like command line which is probably why you are using MakeMKV), click the ADD button (located to the right of the window) find your MKV with the offending subs, load it, uncheck the subs then click on the button at the bottom of the window that says "Start Muxing"... Make sure of course to setup the file name to save the file as, this option is located just above the "Start Muxing" button.

You should not have to make any other changes if you only want to remove the subs.
NomadCF

Re: Remake .mkv?

Post by NomadCF »

Some minor thoughts.

1. mkvmerge GUI supports dragging and dropping of files. Anything post the 1st drop is considered an additional stream, aka another Video (angle)/audio/ or subtitle. For "joining" too DVD or video files you need to use the append option. Take note that that appended "stream" (or full mkv) will not always encode to a clean and in sync (audio/subs) "compressed" (or altered file). It's best to so all editing BEFORE appending.

2. You could just use eac3to to break up the MKV and then use mkvmerge(GUI) to put it back together. This could allow you to alter the audio (compress or in some cases fix it). Or just simply script a system to add in extra data (info) to the mkv. Heres an example:

3. You can Remux and leave everything *in* the MKV file. But just set the "Force Use" and "Default Track" name to *NO*. This would allow you to leave the file
intact with everything. But not display or use those items.

Opinions

1. Remuxing to remove a part should always be faster then, trying to remake a MKV from DVD. This is especially true you have more then 1 HD in a system (or a large ramdrive :D )