BD-ROM read speed

Everything related to MakeMKV
willdiddy

BD-ROM read speed

Post by willdiddy »

How can i get my pioneer BDR-205 rip faster than 2.0x? I am using an intel i7 cpu along with 6 gigs of DDR3 ram on my asus p5e. I have no other apps running except MakeMKV. I am very impressed with this application so far. Also I would like to know if there is a way to maybe shrink the video just a tad bit so that I can get these MKVs to around 15 gigs max. Yes I do keep only one audio track that is usually the largest one because its the DTS-HD MA audio track. There must be a way to downgrade the video though to get these files smaller though. Please help!!!
skittle

Re: BD-ROM read speed

Post by skittle »

To shrink the file, use one of the many gui's here:
http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=78

or handbrake:
http://handbrake.fr/

or use x264 directly with avisynth.

Take your pick ;)
willdiddy

Post by willdiddy »

thanks for the info! Much appreciated. Anyone know how to increase my read speed at all or is 2.x normal read speed? If I have to pay to increase speed, that won't be a problem
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Paying doesn't change the read speed, but I'm sure Mike will appreciate it! :mrgreen:

Let us know which GUI you pick.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@willdiddy

Hi!

If I remember correctly, ALL Pioneer drives are shipped set at 2x read speed. Go to the OFFICIAL Pioneer website and download the most recent firmware available for your SPECIFIC model - and follow the included directions very carefully...

willdiddy

Post by willdiddy »

I for the life of me cannot find how to increase the rip speed of my burner. I have searched all over and am stuck at 2x :(. Any other ideas? I may use handbrake as soon as i figure out how to rip faster
willdiddy

Post by willdiddy »

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Firmwar ... iveId=1707

there is latest firmware update 1.08 for bdr-205 for any of those people that are having issues that I am having. Now let's see if it improves my read speed. other notes: Pioneer website only offers 1.04 firmware update.
willdiddy

Post by willdiddy »

i get a max read speed of like 3x which is like 13 M/s which is a little better but not what I expected since this thing cost me $215
willdiddy

Post by willdiddy »

anyone know any other way I can make this bdr-205 rip faster?
Tolham

Post by Tolham »

willdiddy wrote:anyone know any other way I can make this bdr-205 rip faster?
try ripping with DVDfab. it has it's own protection removal so you don't need anydvd.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Tolham

Hi!

Even better, especially since you're posting at the MakeMKV forum - MakeMKV provides complete copy protection removal...
Tolham

Post by Tolham »

lol, yes of course that's an idea, but wildiddy said makeMKV wasn't ripping faster than 2x. i just bought a pioneer 205 drive myself and ran into the same problem as wildiddy. i searched the internet for ways to rip blu ray movies faster (the whole reason i bought the pioneer was to rip faster because my LG was super slow) and didn't have any luck. i've since discovered that i can rip at reasonable speeds with dvdfab (21MB/s) so i thought i'd suggest dvdfab to wildiddy. i don't mean to step on makeMKV's toes, but i feel obligated to make it known (to wildiddy and everybody else who searches googles and comes across this thread like i did) that dvdfab rips fast.

yesterday i ripped American Gangster with dvdfab. the main movie is 26GB and it ripped in 25 minutes. i then ripped it again tsMuxer + anyDVD and it took 68 minutes.
gremlin190

Post by gremlin190 »

Same issue with OP BDR-205 and slow rip speeds. This has been brought up a time before http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1063

No real answer though. I really like the simplicity of MakeMKV, but I also like my stuff to be efficient and if I wanted to rip at 4x, i would have spent 60 bucks on a drive.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

What is the rip speed if you simply copy files from drive to hdd? MakeMKV should process data as fast as drive can read it.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

I'd be reluctant to make conclusions based on one or two rips. I've been downloading the DVDFab betas, both DVDFab and DVDFab Passkey. Since they are free for the time being I figure I might as well have 'em in case I need 'em. I've often found with one or another disc that one program may be faster than the others for that rip on that disc. But then I do another disc and a different program rips faster.

I haven't done any scientific experiments to determine the cause. If it has to do with the particular encryption, dust on the disc, or whatever. All I know is I haven't found any pattern where one software always rips faster. I do know MakeMKV backup mode seems to do the job quite well quite fast nearly all the time. If I have an issue then I'll try PassKey or another avenue to get the job done.