Feature Request - Open/Edit a MKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
MilesAhead

Re: Feature Request - Open/Edit a MKV

Post by MilesAhead »

tony55 wrote:@ setarip_old

I agree with you completely about the PGS subtitles. However,It's a problem that really may not be fixed in Media players for quite a while. MilesAhead mentioned his WD and TS and M2ts files playing PGS. Mine does also but the problem with ts files is that with them you loose chapter support. So to have subtitle support and chapter support the only thing that does the job now is MKV files.
You must have a newer generation than I do. My WD player has no support for PGS subs whatever. That's why I'm burning in subs with BD Rebuilder. I guess we foreign film lovers must be a small niche because subtitle support is the most neglected area in all this video stuff. Often it's the one factor that hems you in to using less than ideal tools. "Oh, this would work so great and fast.. oh wait a second.. I can't do the subs with it.. next."
tony55

Post by tony55 »

@ MilesAhead
Sorry, I mis-spoke. My WD does not play PGS. However, both my Seagate players do if they are in a ts or m2ts file. They do not play them in a MKV however. I still wonder why they don't. The player people blame the MKV software. The software people blame the players. I know that VLC now plays PGS in MKVs, but it didn't happen overnight and even after a few years of the problem existing in most cases there have been few fixes.

Also re: your comments about subtitle software, I have found with a little bit of effort that SRTs are the way to go for me. Over time, I downloaded all the subtitle software listed in the tools section of VideoHelp.com. Tested them all and found the ones that work for me. Also, in those rare instances, online subtitle sites have always had what I was looking for.

As a continuing note re: my last post on the new version of MKVcleaver v500, it's not any better than the previous versions in handling VC1 video. So, I ended up using TXMuxer to de-mux the m2ts to a VC1 stream and used MKVmerge to make another MKV that had AC3 and an internal srt. Worked like a charm.

For WD media player users, you need to make sure that you turn off audio compression in version 4117 each time you mux a file. It's listed in the extra options section of the input page. There is no default setting other than it auto conpresses and it doesn't remember your previous selection. I think I'm going back to v.400

Tony
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

For those VC1 titles, couldn't you use something like eac3to to rip it to a video MKV and separate audio and subtitle streams, convert the subtitle, and then add them to the MKV with mkvmerge? I think that'd be slightly safer than using tsMuxer. Maybe. Also, Another EAC3To GUI can automate *ALL* of that for you, including the subtitle conversion.
tony55

Post by tony55 »

As I don't reduce down the video size of any of my movies, I have avoided the do-all programs because they always force you to reduce the video. Eac3to uses the same programs as I was using without the eac package.

Now that I have had success with all the VC1 videos I have tried using TSmuxer for the de-mux of the video, I feel I've solved my problem and even though it would be nice if MakeMKV accepted streams or MKVs, I'm happy enough using MakeMKV as it is now.

Maybe I just should have tried eac to begin with. I've used it before for audio conversion, just didn't try it for this problem because it uses TSmuxer and MKVtoolNix which was what I was using. If it uses Tsmuxer to de-mux than yes it would have worked and it would have saved me hours of trying to figure it out myself.

Tony
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I think you misunderstand. Another EAC3TO GUI does *NOT* touch the streams at ALL save for converting the PGS subs to IDX/SUB. All it does is use EAC3TO to extract the video, audio, and sub streams for you and then uses mkvmerge to combine them into a MKV. That's it. It's an all in one solution that does what you're apparently wanting to do, with automated sub conversion.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

SamuriHL wrote:I think you misunderstand. Another EAC3TO GUI does *NOT* touch the streams at ALL save for converting the PGS subs to IDX/SUB. All it does is use EAC3TO to extract the video, audio, and sub streams for you and then uses mkvmerge to combine them into a MKV. That's it. It's an all in one solution that does what you're apparently wanting to do, with automated sub conversion.
Can you post a link to this tool or PM me? My searches haven't gotten any hits.
Right now I've been using Popcorn to convert audio or demuxing myself and using Wav to AC3 Encoder if it has some lame(no pun intended) PCM audio.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I sent you a PM for it. I hope it helps!
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

tony55 wrote:So, after having written the above, I go over to VideoHelp.com and notice that MKVCleaver has introduced a new version today.

Maybe, It might provide all the fixes I need. One can hope.

Tony
btw since you mentioned chapter support, on the WD player if you FF even at only 2x, then hit the Next Button on the remote, it will jump ahead 10 minutes. I find .m2ts format runs more reliably so even when I make an .mkv with MakeMKV I mux it to .m2ts. With burned in subs and only one audio track it seems I can jump ahead without losing sync now.
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

Logman wrote:
animebuster wrote:Although this would be handy (Doing everything with one program) This is not what MakeMkv is for and not what the developers want it to be for, and in the end of the day we all have to respect their wishes.
true post, if the developer doesnt want it then fine IF ITS FREE. Pay $50 is another thing
Huh? You can't demand that a developer should add the features you want to a program, just because you paid money for it. You are of course free to not buy the program if you're not happy with its features, but that's a different matter.

Unless the program is developed for you personally, and you have a contract with the developer, you are in no position to demand any kind of feature.

Now, I would understand the frustration if this was a feature that has been promised for a long time, and the developer suddenly decides he doesn't want to implement it anyway. But, I think he's been very clear from the beginning that he has absolutely no interest in adding this type of functionality to this program.