User Manual?

Everything related to MakeMKV
disco-bandit

User Manual?

Post by disco-bandit »

Hi all.
I'm wondering if there is a place to find a comprehensive user manual for MakeMKV?
The Online Help link (https://www.makemkv.com/onlinehelp/) is a good quick start guide, but it doesn't really explain what any of the information being displayed means.
For instance, the significance of the setting regarding the minimum length of a "Title" to be skipped.
Or why I ended up with 5 files when I ripped a DVD.
The first file appears to be the complete movie, but I can't figure out whey there are 4 additional files that vary in length.

I'm copy/pasting the info from the software in case it's relevant to what I'm asking, but if there is some kind of online/wiki/slight more detailed guide I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction, because I've not found one yet :-\
Thank you in advance :)
Also - using Windows 10 version of the software with LG portable DVD writer.

MakeMKV v1.15.3 win(x64-release) started
Downloading latest SDF to C:\Users\Viktorja/.MakeMKV ...
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GP65NB60 PF00' at offset '1048576'
Using direct disc access mode
Title #2 was added (13 cell(s), 1:48:59)
Title #3 has length of 20 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #4 was added (1 cell(s), 0:17:54)
Title #5 was added (1 cell(s), 0:25:07)
Title #6 was added (1 cell(s), 0:28:04)
Title #7 was added (1 cell(s), 0:44:09)
Title #8 has length of 72 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed
Saving 5 titles into directory C:/Users/Viktorja/Videos
5 titles saved
preserve

Re: User Manual?

Post by preserve »

The sticky threads in the different forums also have quite a lot of useful information.

Here's a bunch of stuff, including some non-stickied info. I may add to this in the future:

- Default Output File Name Template: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18313
- I add {_s:SN} to the end of mine.

- Changing Track Order in Output File: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4566

- Changing Default Track Selection Rules: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4386
- Sample Selection Rules that I use: -sel:all,+sel:(favlang|mvcvideo),-sel:(core)

- On The Fly Audio Conversion: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4776

- UHD FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16883

- 4K Release Spreadsheet: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22992

- Manual DVD Mode: https://www.makemkv.com/manualdvd/

- Downmix to Stereo?
Enable expert mode, and select AAC-stereo profile . For each audio track you will have an option to save the original AND/OR stereo copy. And you can do this for already existing MKV file, just open the MKV file in MakeMKV.
Common Playlist Configurations:

- 800 for Disney movies for English language (others will have titles, etc in different languages).

- Sometimes discs will have 2 playlists for the main movie, one will have languages such as English, French, Spanish, etc, while the second one will be for Japanese language options.

- One with chapters, one without. In this case you are seeing the mpls playlist with chapters, which is the one you want, as well as the original m2ts stream file which the playlist is created from.

---
disco-bandit wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:45 pm
the significance of the setting regarding the minimum length of a "Title" to be skipped.
If you set the minimum length to X seconds, all titles that are shorter than X seconds will not be shown in the list of available titles after MakeMKV has loaded the disc.

In the log you posted, you can see that MakeMKV has skipped showing you some titles, because they are shorter than your minimum length setting.

Since some bonus features such as trailers or introductions can be short, and I do want all the bonus features, I set my minimum title length to 1 second, and I just deal with the extra stuff that can come up, such as various copyright notices, etc.

The additional titles you're seeing other than the main movie could be bonus features? What is the DVD you're ripping?

There isn't a full user's manual other than the info on the site that you've already found. MakeMKV isn't difficult to use, and any questions you have, members in the forum will be happy to help.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
disco-bandit

Post by disco-bandit »

Thank you for the assistance :) I'm not always very tech-savvy so I appreciate you providing links for me to read through.

preserve wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:38 am
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Setting the minimum length: View->Preferences->Video, minimum title length is a box on that screen.

Some other stuff you can do with selections: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16405
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging