"But the disk is perfect and plays in my DVD/BD player!"

Everything related to MakeMKV
Woodstock

"But the disk is perfect and plays in my DVD/BD player!"

Post by Woodstock »

Yorgo has compiled a list of common causes for DVD and BD errors where the disk is brand new, over in the Blu-ray error reports section. A lot of people seem to be ignoring the message, because they're confident that it really is some new form of copy protection that MakeMKV doesn't know about it.

If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first!

Please check out what is posted there first, and eliminate the common issues first. People are getting bored of us posting "clean your disk..." messages. :)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
pguillot69

Re: "But the disk is perfect and plays in my DVD/BD player!"

Post by pguillot69 »

First time posting but WOW.

Used several DVD Rippers in the past. AnyDVD was on top of the list. When it went away, I thought " Well More money down the drain.
I love my DVDs but I hate it when they get scratched and damaged. MakeMKV seems like the perfect alternative to other systems. The one thing I wish was this.
If a disk has a problem, Encryption or bad master but the main movie plays fine. Here is an option for the programmers.

Let MakeMkv pipe the movie like it would be played on a DVD player. Allow you to save it with all of the Subtitles and languages if possible but at least have the movie piped out in the language of choice and any subtitles needed. A lot of times a movie has a subtitle in it because of a different language spoken " They call them hard subtitles"
Yes, I realize the name of the program is MAKEMKV but so much more can achieved by allowing the system to at least get the movie off the disc.

And YES... The movie would have to play thru at normal speed to pipe properly but at least you would get a movie for some of those really tough ones.

I use PLEX at my home and I love to have subtitles and both English, Spanish and French. MKV files enable the movie to be a single file with all the trimmings.
ProNub

Post by ProNub »

It seems like brand new scratched on arrival 4k discs is on the rise from my experience. I've had to send multiple back this year because makemkv couldn't rip them even after cleaning.
Supernatural

Post by Supernatural »

pguillot69 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:45 pm
Allow you to save it with all of the Subtitles and languages if possible
I agree with you. I'm learning Spanish and subtitles help a lot
starboyk

Post by starboyk »

pguillot69 wrote:

Used several DVD Rippers in the past. AnyDVD was on top of the list. When it went away, I thought " Well More money down the drain.
I love my DVDs but I hate it when they get scratched and damaged. MakeMKV seems like the perfect alternative to other systems. The one thing I wish was this.
If a disk has a problem, Encryption or bad master but the main movie plays fine. Here is an option for the programmers.

Let MakeMkv pipe the movie like it would be played on a DVD player. Allow you to save it with all of the Subtitles and languages if possible but at least have the movie piped out in the language of choice and any subtitles needed. A lot of times a movie has a subtitle in it because of a different language spoken " They call them hard subtitles"
Yes, I realize the name of the program is MAKEMKV but so much more can achieved by allowing the system to at least get the movie off the disc.

And YES... The movie would have to play thru at normal speed to pipe properly but at least you would get a movie for some of those really tough ones.

I use PLEX at my home and I love to have subtitles and both English, Spanish and French. MKV files enable the movie to be a single file with all the trimmings.
Hello!

I might be reading this wrong (or talking out my butt), but if you pass the output MKV through HandBrake, you can do exactly what you're looking for. All MakeMKV does is dump everything on the disc to the MKV container (mp4 track, audio, srt files, and so on). Handbrake can be used to compress the MKV file, but it can also be used to hardcode a subtitle or audio preference. Alternatively, could try passing this through MKVToolNix GUI and set different languages and subtitles as default. No compression there, so that might be more your cuppa.

Cheers!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

An update. Today, I received a 3-disk set of a recently-released anime.

Fresh from the sealed packaging, disk 1 has two circumferential scratches that make episodes 5 and 9 (of 9) unreadable. Disk 3 had a LARGE thumb print on it.

There aren't many ways to put circumferential scratches on a disk except by spinning it in a drive (it won't happen in the stamping process), so there is a good chance that this is a set that was shipped, ripped, and returned with new shrink wrap.

I would love to post a picture of the scratches... Unfortunately, my auto-focus cameras keep focusing on the distant reflection, rather than the disk surface. :evil:

A further update. After trying disk 1 in my two primary ripping drives, I decided to test it with my older LG UH08LS10 drive from 2009. The slower drive is able to see past the scratches, and rip both tracks, albeit more slowly than "normal".

Conclusion (concussion?): "Fresh from sealed package" doesn't mean "pristine, undamaged, perfect", and new drives are not necessarily better than older drives.
9Nails

Post by 9Nails »

I used MakeMKV on over 190 discs to this point. I found trouble with a brand new TV series (Quantum Leap, on Blu Ray for North America) with a bad season 2 disc 1. No visible surface defects. This played in my PlayStation 4 drive and on my PowerDVD plyer on the PC. The error pointed to http://www.makemkv.com/errors/read/ and I felt like an idiot for complaining. But it was bothering me that it would play, and it was tested with not one but 2 new disc sets in an otherwise working process.

I tried to copy the disk with MakeMKV to my Plex server, and on multiple USB drives (on my laptop), cables, and computers it failed with a slew of uncorrectable scsi errors, and OS status device errors. I tried a slew of disc recovery software to see if they can retry and read through the error. I even switched the discs with the store.

What fixed it was using AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0 to rip the files to hard drive. Then use MakeMKV 1.14.7 to put the files together for my Plex server. This one disc went smoothly with this work around, when many others - to include in the same packaging - didn't need it.

So, as much as I want 1 tool to rule them all, there may be some software options for those odd balls on the fringes. I wanted to share this just in case someone else falls into the same pitfall that I did.
Tuxon86

Post by Tuxon86 »

I mostly rip BR that I borrow from the library. The main culprit in rip failure with those are the anti theft device that they stick to the disk. Those tends to unbalanced the disk making it vibrate while spinning. My pioneer external/portable BR is quite succeptible to it, while my internal 5.25" Asus is more tolerant.

The library did moved to a new device which is a full disk transparent label which has less of an impact on the drive spinning. But for older titles the old strips are problematic.
9Nails

Post by 9Nails »

Tuxon86 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:57 pm
The main culprit in rip failure with those are the anti theft device that they stick to the disk. Those tends to unbalanced the disk making it vibrate while spinning.
Most of the time we want to rip as fast as possible. But I wonder if it is possible to set MKV to rip at 1X speed? (Or lower?) It might essentially switch the drive to normal playback speeds. That would reduce the disc vibration possibly. Such a suggestion might give you fewer errors due to disc imbalance.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Rip rate limiting has been requested, more often as a way of "fixing" USB-powered drives. Mike hasn't said one way or another on that.

The most effective work-around I've found for that is to use a SLOW USB flash drive as the destination, but that falls apart because flash drives are getting MUCH faster than they used to be, and some can keep up with a full-speed rip.
Amigaman

Post by Amigaman »

pguillot69 wrote:
AnyDVD was on top of the list. When it went away, I thought " Well More money down the drain.
SlySoft AnyDVD has not 'gone away' its just changed its name to RedFox AnyDVD and you can download an update here
https://www.redfox.bz/en/anydvdhd.html unless you purchased a 1 or 2 year licence your lifetime licence will work with the new version if you are having trouble registering the program they have very good support and self-help in the forum there. :wink:
dmitche3

Post by dmitche3 »

starboyk wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:43 pm
pguillot69 wrote:

Hello!

I might be reading this wrong (or talking out my butt), but if you pass the output MKV through HandBrake, you can do exactly what you're looking for. All MakeMKV does is dump everything on the disc to the MKV container (mp4 track, audio, srt files, and so on). Handbrake can be used to compress the MKV file, but it can also be used to hardcode a subtitle or audio preference. Alternatively, could try passing this through MKVToolNix GUI and set different languages and subtitles as default. No compression there, so that might be more your cuppa.

Cheers!
You are correct about Handbrake. A lot more of a problem with using FFMPEG directly. BUT there is a BIG BUT, what I find very tiring using MakeMKV is that when ripping a disc, if I wish to get subtitles and alternate tracks they are defaulted to OFF and I have to manually go each track and select the subtitles and audio channels that I want.

What I'd like to see in Makemkv is options to "un/Select all subtitles" as well as"un/Select all alternative audio channels" and the BEST solution would be to Replicate Audio and Subtitles from the selected track that I'm focused on. That way I set one to what I want and it will make those selections for all tracks.

Or the absolute BEST would be to select these options in the configuration file and forget about worry about entirely. :)

I always add any additional subtitles if in English of French as well as secondary channels as they are 99% of the time either En Francaise or are commentary tracks.

Call me lazy but it is annoying to rip a disc to find out I missed checking a box or two on several titles.

<B>Addendum:</B>Well I'll be. I had never seen the advanced tab with the selection rules. After some research I think that I can do what I want after all!! It's a great day to learn something new without too much pain. :)
Wolf359

Post by Wolf359 »

Amigaman wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:57 pm
pguillot69 wrote:
AnyDVD was on top of the list. When it went away, I thought " Well More money down the drain.
SlySoft AnyDVD has not 'gone away' its just changed its name to RedFox AnyDVD and you can download an update here
https://www.redfox.bz/en/anydvdhd.html unless you purchased a 1 or 2 year licence your lifetime licence will work with the new version if you are having trouble registering the program they have very good support and self-help in the forum there. :wink:
Can anyone verify that you can NOW use a lifetime license purchased under the previous owners? Because this wasn't true before.
Dan-O

Post by Dan-O »

Wolf359 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:08 pm
Amigaman wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:57 pm
pguillot69 wrote:
Can anyone verify that you can NOW use a lifetime license purchased under the previous owners? Because this wasn't true before.
I tried my lifetime license from 2008. No luck. I have not tried to contact them about support, but I find it highly unlikely they'd honor it given the ownership change and, uh, 13 years since the purchase was made.

edited to add: there's even recent posts on the redfox forum by redfox support saying they wouldn't transfer licenses from the previous company to the current company. The last AnyDVD that will accept a legacy license is 7695. Any updates after this will not work with the older license keys. This 100% makes sense... just wanted to be clear. Redfox will only 'fix' your license if you bought it from them and are having troubles (changed computer hardware, etc.)
Philbert

Post by Philbert »

I used AnyDVD 7695 with my Slysoft lifetime license for 10 years until my crazy pc disappeared the key. Everything worked with the older version file, and only Lionsgate was a problem. I used Shrinkdvd32 on those until recently when I lost my key. My Clone DVD still works, but using makeMKV eliminates the need for other software (unless it isn't allowing me to use the latest version 'cause it's too "old" "...like now.