What is the best internal blu-ray reader for ripping?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Maveee

What is the best internal blu-ray reader for ripping?

Post by Maveee »

Long story short: I have a shitton of blu-rays and am going on a 7 hour flight in two weeks, it would be nice to enjoy my own blu-rays in flight.
This is why I want to rip them, but I have no idea which blu-ray reader to buy, especially since some have rip protection?
So can anyone recommend me a few models please?

Thanks in advance!
Woodstock

Re: What is the best internal blu-ray reader for ripping?

Post by Woodstock »

You will get arguments on this. I like LG drives (have 4) - others say they're crap. I regularly see 4x and faster rip rates on them, although yesterday, the fastest one struggled to hit 2x on a particular title.

I also have a few Samsung drives, one of which is used almost daily. Reliable, not as fast as the LG.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

I've used Lite-On, Asus, and LG drives over the years, all have served me well. I'm not one needing the fastest drive, as long as it works when I need it, I'm happy. If I were in the market for a new drive today, I'd buy something inexpensive, on sale, from a well-known brand. My 2 cents.
Maveee

Post by Maveee »

Thank you both for your feedback.
Not all of them are available in my country, after some quick googling I can get my hands on this one pretty easily: Asus BC-12D2HT
Is there a known rip protection on this one?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Google search for "Asus BC-12D2HT rip lock" is ambiguous on the subject. The exact model doesn't seem to come up in the discussions, but other versions seem to be OK.
Maveee

Post by Maveee »

Woodstock wrote:Google search for "Asus BC-12D2HT rip lock" is ambiguous on the subject. The exact model doesn't seem to come up in the discussions, but other versions seem to be OK.
Hmm I don't want to risk it.. since I'll only need the reader to rip, I have an external Sony blu-ray player.
Could you maybe tell me the exact models of your fastest LG reader?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The fastest I use regularly is the LG BH16NS40. It regularly reads BDs at 4x or better, and I've seen 10x ripping from time to time (14x peak on DVDs).

The same machine also has a UH10LS20 reader, which is about 20% slower in side-by-side ripping.
Kyocere

Post by Kyocere »

I went with an LG WH16NS40 as it was the cheapest OEM drive I could find locally and everyone online was raving about its reliability. I have ripped well over 200 discs now without a single error. I generally see it ripping around 7-8x speed. This thing is a champ and I highly recommend it.
whisker

Post by whisker »

Pioneer BDXL. I originally bought a Sony BD burner, but I found that it would overheat after one or two BD disks. The Pioneer doesn't overheat and I can rip large collections all day.
preserve

Post by preserve »

My original LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray/HD-DVD drive is still performing after all these years. Unfortunately, it's long discontinued.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Woodstock wrote:You will get arguments on this. I like LG drives (have 4) - others say they're crap.
Lol Woodstock yes, I will say LG drives are crap. Have seen too many of them fail. I am a Pioneer person. Thus far this drive has been very forgiving with bad discs. It even reads some of the dvd discs that my ASUS drive refuses to touch.
Cornstick

Post by Cornstick »

whisker wrote:Pioneer BDXL. I originally bought a Sony BD burner, but I found that it would overheat after one or two BD disks. The Pioneer doesn't overheat and I can rip large collections all day.

Which model Pioneer do you use? I've read a couple of reviews that mentioned rip-lock on some current models. I've always been a Pioneer fan and would like to get another one to go along with my LG drive.
Yugatha

Post by Yugatha »

I've just upgraded from a laptop to a desktop, and put 4 LG BH16NS55 drives in (the newer version of the S40). Currently ripping 2 discs to the same drive (2TB WD Black) at 10.9x and 10.6x. Other discs were around 6-8x, but they seem quite good for now.

Edit:
One drive finished, and now the other is going at 11.6x... speed is good.

Edit 2:
These were both Bluray discs
michaelt

Post by michaelt »

Won't say best but will say "works just fine". No issues.

It is a Lite-On (iHBS212) bought many years ago.
Spec'd at 12x, I've seen 8+MB/s typical on Blu-ray and DVD.
Installed internal on a MacPro. Works fine.
Mac Pro 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Mac OS X ElCapitan 10.11.6 (15G1212)
32 GB Memory, 20+TB disk
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Point of curiosity; I have two BD drives in my tower and prefer that they are not the same model or even the same brand. Because I've run into enough discs that fail to rip, my theory is by having different brands/models, if a disc doesn't work on one it will have a better chance to work on the other. Theory was (I believe) proved out again a couple days ago when a certain disc failed in both drives, but after thorough cleaning, failed on one but successfully ripped on the other. Thoughts?