I only get normal read speeds in MakeMKV by running AnyDVD

Everything related to MakeMKV
sddk19

I only get normal read speeds in MakeMKV by running AnyDVD

Post by sddk19 »

Hi,

With my external drive, MakeMKV only gives me constant ripping speeds of 2.0/2.1X for Blu-rays. The drive can do 6X.

I circumvented this by installing the trial of AnyDVD with has an option to ignore silent-drive configurations. By having both AnyDVD and MakeMKV open, suddenly MakeMKV is able to rip at 5.5X speeds.

Now that my AnyDVD trial as ended, I'm back to the very slow default MakeMKV speed...

So my questions are:
- is there a way to enable higher read speeds in MakeMKV itself for drives that have these silent configurations (I already contacted ASUSabout this but their customer support didn't even seem to begin to understand my problem...)?
- I know other Users used this AnyDVD "hack" as I got the idea from here in the first place. What did you do after the trial ended, paid for AnyDVD or are there other ripping software that can do the same speed up to help MakeMKV?
I would really prefer to use MakeMKV to create the files from my discs instead of doing ISOs first...

Thanks
Woodstock

Re: I only get normal read speeds in MakeMKV by running AnyD

Post by Woodstock »

Drives that have "silent" settings usually have a utility on their install disk, or available on the manufacturer's website, to disable that. Some have operating system limitations - LG's configuration program, for example, only runs under Windows, so you can't disable the sound speed limit on a Mac.

As for using the hack to disable that, we'll have to wait for Mike to chime in.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
sddk19

Post by sddk19 »

Woodstock wrote:Drives that have "silent" settings usually have a utility on their install disk, or available on the manufacturer's website, to disable that. Some have operating system limitations - LG's configuration program, for example, only runs under Windows, so you can't disable the sound speed limit on a Mac.

As for using the hack to disable that, we'll have to wait for Mike to chime in.
Sadly the only tool that came on the software disc was for "improving USB performance", no updated drivers or tools for the drive (ASUS SBW-06D2X-U) on their website either. I'm on Windows 10 and the driver itself also doesn't have any options besides setting the region code etc.
No custom firmware exist for this drive either AFAIK.

That's why I was hoping for a general software solution as obviously the drive can be convinced (by AnyDVD and it didn't seem to be drive-specific thing either) to run at the advertised speeds. The interesting (and helpful) aspect was that this temporary unlock even works for software that can't do that (MakeMKV).
doomedtx

Post by doomedtx »

I'll add a "me, too" here requesting support to disable silent mode. I just purchased an LG external DVD with Silent Play, which slows down DVD reads to 2-3x. I'd rather have noise and fast reading. Apparently this used to be disabled through explorer by right-clicking the DVD, selecting hardware, properties. However, in Windows 10 there's no option to disable it. The LG came with PowerDVD software and a USBFast utility that says no device detected; nothing to disable silent mode as far as I can tell. The feature is obviously software-controllable. Can it be disabled in the registry perhaps? I'm not finding a lot of current information so apparently this isn't a problem for too many people out there. Any ideas?
Hoover1979

Post by Hoover1979 »

Sorry for necroing this thread with another "Me Too" post, but I just purchased a Pioneer BDR-209DBKS 16x Blu-Ray Reader/Writer today and can't rip my Blu-Ray's past the 4.8x mark. All that came on the accompanying disk was the OEM Nero suite without any Pioneer software/drivers/firmware, so the Driver was auto-installed by Windows 7 Pro x64.

The firmware is up to date as I downloaded the latest firmware from the Pioneer site and it said I was already up to date.

I have a soundproofed case and want to remove silent mode to rip my ever expanding legally owned Blu-Rays at the 16x read speed rather than being capped at 4.8x. In my country (Australia) I qualify for the legal loophole to format-shift my owned digital media to digital media due to physical disability I have endured since a car crash when I was 17 in 1996, as long as I always keep the original disks.

Is there ANY program that can let me take control of my brand new drive to get it to read at its full speed, or is it under hardware riplock?
Theresa_N

Post by Theresa_N »

For the Pioneer BDRAM I have I had to download a file from pioneer's website to turn off quiet mode. Just do a search.
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Sorry for the necro, but I would like some help on this myself, if it's even possible to help this situation.
In my country, I don't have many options when it comes to external BD drives, and I ended up with an ASUS SBW-06D2X-U. Drive works very well but I have this problem. Drive is 6X capable but ripping is always locked to 2x. There is no utility on the driver disc or the ASUS website to modify any settings like a silent mode. Is there anything I can do to remedy this without buying AnyDVD?