"Can't find any usable optical drives" only when using RDP

Everything related to MakeMKV
Marc_G

"Can't find any usable optical drives" only when using RDP

Post by Marc_G »

Hi folks,

I've got a new system (Win 10x64, i5-6600 based) with a single bluray drive.

Even though this system is physically right here next to my main desktop computer, it is run headless (meaning no monitor), and I log on via Remote Desktop (RDP) from my main desktop computer. When I do this MakeMKV gives me an error upon starting that it can't find any usable optical drives. If I run a temporary cable to a monitor and log on the regular way via a console, it works fine. But, for a number of reasons, it usually won't be plugged into a monitor.

I'm not sure why MakeMKV should care how I'm logged in (remote versus console), and while running these tests I didn't have any concurrent sessions going on (so, just one session of the main administrator user), so there really shouldn't be any impact.

Mike, can you please take a look and suggest some sort of workaround, or incorporate a fix into an upcoming release? Thanks!

Marc
Woodstock

Re: "Can't find any usable optical drives" only when using R

Post by Woodstock »

You would think that MakeMKV would not care, but, apparently, Windows does, because MakeMKV asks on start up, "What optical drives are there?", and relies upon the operating system to respond with a proper list.

I do know that when I use remote desktop to control my main computer remotely, a LOT of devices disappear, to be replaced by ones on the "calling" system. I have to reconfigure any audio settings when I get home. I don't have an easy way to test if it affects the optical drives right now, though; maybe tomorrow, when I'm in the office.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Woodstock wrote:You would think that MakeMKV would not care, but, apparently, Windows does, because MakeMKV asks on start up, "What optical drives are there?", and relies upon the operating system to respond with a proper list.

I do know that when I use remote desktop to control my main computer remotely, a LOT of devices disappear, to be replaced by ones on the "calling" system. I have to reconfigure any audio settings when I get home. I don't have an easy way to test if it affects the optical drives right now, though; maybe tomorrow, when I'm in the office.
Thanks, this was helpful. It led me to do some focused searches and I found this answer, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... itpromedia

"You need to edit the Group Policy and enable a Computer Policy on the host computer with the CD/BD ROM.

In the local Group Policy editor, go into Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access

Enable the policy "All Removable Storage: Allow direct access in remote sessions"

This policy setting grants normal users direct access to removable storage devices in remote sessions.
If you enable this policy setting, remote users will be able to open direct handles to removable storage devices in remote sessions.
If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, remote users will not be able to open direct handles to removable storage devices in remote sessions."

I made the edit to the group policy and MakeMKV now recognizes the drive.

:-)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
realBBB

Post by realBBB »

Marc_G wrote:Thanks, this was helpful. It led me to do some focused searches and I found this answer, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... itpromedia

"You need to edit the Group Policy and enable a Computer Policy on the host computer with the CD/BD ROM.

In the local Group Policy editor, go into Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access

Enable the policy "All Removable Storage: Allow direct access in remote sessions"

This policy setting grants normal users direct access to removable storage devices in remote sessions.
If you enable this policy setting, remote users will be able to open direct handles to removable storage devices in remote sessions.
If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, remote users will not be able to open direct handles to removable storage devices in remote sessions."

I made the edit to the group policy and MakeMKV now recognizes the drive.

:-)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Had this issue and was resolved by the method above. Thank you!

Alternative was to run as administrator, but I like the method above.

¡BBB!
Brow Knee