The program can't find any useable optical drives

Everything related to MakeMKV
wyerd

The program can't find any useable optical drives

Post by wyerd »

I get the above error when I run MakeMKV. v1.10.4 (x64). It was running fine last night, but when I attempted to rip the same BD I get this error. I'm able to see the 2 optical drives in Windows and the files on them. I can open an ISO file manually. I have rebooted the PC.
Woodstock

Re: The program can't find any useable optical drives

Post by Woodstock »

When you rebooted, was it a "reset" type reboot, or just shutdown/restart?

I ask because sometimes it is the hardware interface that is the issue, and that doesn't get reset properly unless the motherboard sees a reset signal. It gets the reset on power up, or when you press the reset button, which a lot of new computers do not have.

MakeMKV asks Windows for available optical drives. If Windows doesn't respond to that request, MakeMKV doesn't assume that it is wrong. It is also possible that Windows is restricting that level of access, which can be checked by asking it to run MakeMKV as administrator (right click on the icon to get that option). Windows update has been bringing in some strange restrictions recently.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
wyerd

Re: The program can't find any useable optical drives

Post by wyerd »

It was a warm boot rather than a hard boot. I'll do a proper shutdown/power up when I get home from work later.