Update error: The folder c:\program files(x86)\makemkv ...

Everything related to MakeMKV
Marc_G

Update error: The folder c:\program files(x86)\makemkv ...

Post by Marc_G »

Hi.

Running 1.10.3 on Windows 7 x64. Never had a problem with version updates.

Today I downloaded 1.10.4 and attempted to install it. Got a message to the effect of:
The older c:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV is not empty

Well, of course it's not empty. The prior version is installed there. :lol:

I haven't bothered manually uninstalling the old version and then retrying, but clearly there's a goof somewhere in the installer routine.

Just FYI. I'll wait until 1.10.5 to update. I don't rent 3D movies which seems to be the headline change in .4.

Marc
Woodstock

Re: Update error: The folder c:\program files(x86)\makemkv .

Post by Woodstock »

What did you do when it prompted you to uninstall the previous version?

The last 20 versions of so have insisted on going into an empty directory. But the automatic request to uninstall was often "stomped on" by other things, and wasn't seen. You have to run the uninstall, OR install to a different directory. The latest version's uninstall prompt has (for me) always come up on top, but there can be reasons for it not to be so insistent.

"But what about my custom profiles? And other things I put in the MakeMKV directory?"

The MakeMKV data directory (set in Preferences->General) is where any customized files should be put. First of all, it isn't overwritten by MakeMKV installs. Second, it is not set to a higher "must be written by administrators only" privilege level, like the program directory.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Thanks. I didn't notice any prompt to uninstall the prior version, which was odd to me.

If I have time this weekend I will try again and see what happens. Thanks.
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Finally got around to trying this again.

Re-downloaded v1.10.4.

With MakeMKV NOT RUNNING, I ran the installer. It gave the error I reported in my original post. There was no prompt to uninstall the software. I tried several times.

So I deleted its folder in program files (x86) and re-ran the installer. Installed fine, and as indicated, no problems with my registration.

I'm unclear why I had this problem now. I've been using MakeMKV since 2009 and never seen this problem before.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Very strange - the uninstall prompt SHOULD appear over the top of the install prompt.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging