Odd sata problem

Everything related to MakeMKV
meme2

Odd sata problem

Post by meme2 »

Does anyone have any idea why some mkv files are no longer accessible once I move drive(s) to different sata ports? these drives are not raid configured. the irritatingly odd aspect of this is that I have on some drives some mkvs work some do not. I have several files of a tng listing work, but some do not. ARRRGH!!! I am utterly at a loss for what could cause some mkv files to stop working only because the drive port changed. these drives are good; this is not a drive failure problem. please trust me the drives are not the problem, so please contemplate wtf could cause these issue.

the mkv files appear as normal in the directory listing with their normal sizes; the only thing that changed is the sata ports the drives connected.

thanks.
Woodstock

Re: Odd sata problem

Post by Woodstock »

Moving drives between SATA ports has different effects on different operating systems. Some operating systems also change their behaviour based upon the format of the drive. Windows also changes things based upon which USB port you use for USB drives, but it's pretty much the same thing.

Without knowing what operating system you're using, guesses are all you're going to get.

But MKV files themselves don't really "care" where they're at, at least not those written by MakeMKV. It is possible to create an MKV file that references other files, and those links can be screwed up by moving things, but I haven't seen that make a file completely unplayable. But that's not something that MakeMKV can do in any case.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
meme2

Post by meme2 »

os is windows 7 64; I am reluctant to move to later versions.

this is the strangest crap I have ever seen. I have a 2nd machine, so I took one of the irritating drives to the 2nd machine (installed drive), also win7 64, and it can read all the mkvs. I reinstall that test drive back in the original machine and some mkv still not readable by vlc. wtf could possibly cause this????????

when I say play, I use vlc when not in plex. vlc recognizes the files, but when I try to play the mkvs I get nothing, no time duration. nothing.

the ports changed because I moved a raid0 to another controller, and the result is all mkv drives on different ports.

to add to the irritation, I see nothing similar in my searches elsewhere. )*@#$)(*@#)$(*

Thank you for the response, Woodstock. Guessing is all I have pondering what sata does to a drive that could cause this from port to port. talk about tiptoeing round sata ports from now on....
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I join you in skepticism of "more advanced" versions of Windows - my only Win10 test system has been shut down because it kept filling its flash drive with updates it was NOT supposed to be doing.

One possibility - if the users are different between the machines, you could be hitting a permissions problem. You can SEE the files, but you don't have permission to open them. This should NOT happen if you're moving drives within the same machine, but if you're going back and forth between machines... Weirdness has been known to happen.

Have you tried telling Explorer to change the properties of all files, to make them owned by a particular user, or at least, give your normal user R/W privileges? This has to be done as an administrator.

If it were me, I'd have both machines connected via a network, put the drive in the machine that can read it just fine, and copy it across the net to the other, so it would write those files with ITS version of the "proper credentials".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
meme2

Post by meme2 »

I thought that as well, but it is not a permission issue; I wish it were that simple. I have one drive where most of the mkvs work but some do not--easily fixed, copy over the failed files, but why is it happening? what explains how a drive is read so inconsistently across the files? I have another drive in which most mkvs do not work--after port change, but some do. Again, that observation is on the originating machine. all drives work and all mkvs work on another machine, similar mobo but previous gen. It is the fkn mystery of mysteries. I continue to read that changing ports is not a problem for sata and windows. if you have raid and move them willynilly you likely to have a problem, but these are storage only drives. wtf.

I do not consider this a motherboard issue, sure smells like one, because I was not having this problem until I changed ports.

close the ticket, plz; no point in anyone else wasting time on this problem.