Ripping and Viewing 3D Movies using Mpeg4-MVC-3D option

Everything related to MakeMKV
mpc68

Ripping and Viewing 3D Movies using Mpeg4-MVC-3D option

Post by mpc68 »

Hello All,

I'm new to using MakeMKV software. I've successfully ripped all the Blu-ray disks I own now, but I am still trying to figure out to correctly rip and watch (in 2D or 3D) the few 3D Blu-ray disks that I own. 3D movies do seem a bit more complicated.

Here's what I'm finding so far. I have looked through a number of the other posts on 3D Blu-ray ripping, so I think I must be in the ball park on these.

1. To correctly rip a 3D Blu-ray disk, you MUST click the "Mpeg4-MVC-3D" option, correct?

2. Clicking the "Mpeg4-MVC-3D" option when you rip should produce a significantly larger file than not clicking that option, correct? For example, in my early experiments on one of my movies, it seems clicking that option produced around a 30GB file and without the option, around 20GB. Does that seem reasonable?

3. If I want the option to view the movie in either 2D or 3D, do I really need 2 separate mkv files? It seems as long as I click the "Mpeg4-MVC-3D" option, I have the option to view the movie in either 2D or 3D just by clicking the 3D button on my Samsung remote control. Is that the case?

4. A similar question to #3 above, I've noticed a few of my movies actually come with 2 disks - 1 that says Blu-ray and another that says 3D Blu-ray. As I was speculating above, if you rip the 3D Blu-ray disk using the "Mpeg4-MVC-3D" option, but then just don't click your 3D button on your remote, won't you just be watching it in 2D? So again, can 1 mkv file (correctly ripped) give you BOTH the 2D and 3D versions of the movie? I'm just wondering this to save on disk space as these all of these huge mkv files are really gobbling up a lot of space! :(

Any feedback appreciated! Thanks!

-Mike