Best External Blu Ray Drive

Everything related to MakeMKV
p-richard

Re: Best External Blu Ray Drive

Post by p-richard »

I have discovered with Netflix DVD's that the ones that fail for me have a small 1/4 inch crack on the outside edge in the shape of a half moon. I have seen it on countless Blue ray discs now and I can only deduce that it is intentional. The reason I say that is because they are always exactly the same size and shape and there is always only one. If this was a mechanical equipment caused crack then you would presume there would eventually be multiple cracks at least occasionally on a disc. These discs almost always fail to open and if they do, they almost never make it through a complete rip without a Scsi error time out. Something in the way computer drives read the discs I'm guessing. They do, on the other hand, play on regular blue ray players so seems to be a way to foil those wanting to use these in computers. It is quite effective.

It could be just local here in the Seattle area. Don't know because I have not seen anyone else post about it. Look close at the outer edge next time one fails and let me know if you find it. Very small but visible.

Cheers!!
brellyn

Post by brellyn »

It simply means that the disk has been dropped on it's edge. I've actually done it myself (by mistake).
p-richard

Post by p-richard »

Thanks brellyn. You make very well be correct. But of the last 4 discs from Netflix, I received 3 difference movies with identical 1/4 inch moon shaped cracks. seriously, they're all identical and this year I have received at least 20. No one else has any trouble with these? I suppose if your setup opens and copies without any issues you probably wouldn't even notice. I suppose it could be regional too. Just in the Seattle area? I don't know. Let me know if anyone else notices these.

Cheers!!
TheCheezWhiz

Post by TheCheezWhiz »

Add another vote for the Pioneer BDR-XD05B. I have been using mine for about two years on a Mac Mini and have ripped more than 200 owned movies plus Netflix movies. May I add, I often get a movie from Netflix prior to purchase as a "tryout." It's a great way to determine if the movie is decent and has the extras I crave. Then I'll pop for the 3D and/or 4K version.

I'm actually on my second Pioneer BDR-XD05B because of my own stupid error. The USB 3 port on the drive is its Achilles heel. It's tiny and the port is SMT. It was accidentally jerked to the side and broke loose from the PCB. That's an unfortunate consequence of anything that uses that style of USB connector.
zkyoo

Post by zkyoo »

I've been using the Buffalo BRXL-PC6U2 external r/w drive and it's been working fine on all my blurays and most of my DVDs.

As for the other guy earlier who posted that they had discs that just would never read, I've been getting that with digitizing my DVD collection. Some of my oldest discs won't even detect as present in my laptop drive at all, get errors in the Buffalo blu-ray drive at the same place every time, but work/rip fine in my desktop cd drive. I think these discs are too faint for low-power lasers to pick up (I can see my hand through the disc when I hold it up to a light), but work fine in a drive with more power.