"Navigation Error"

Everything related to MakeMKV
jcwillia1

"Navigation Error"

Post by jcwillia1 »

I have a disc that is failing to read one title due to a "navigation error" - but if I pull up the disc in a DVD player it works just fine.

Is there any way to force MAKE MKV to read and rip that title?
Woodstock

Re: "Navigation Error"

Post by Woodstock »

It depends on what is causing the navigation error. Follow the FAQ in my signature and post the debug log for the scan of the disk in a reply here, and maybe we can figure out what the cause is. No need to bother with an attachment; just copy/paste the text from the log file into the message body.

For what it is worth, most navigation errors are due to a dirty disk. Next up is scratched disks, and manufacturing defects also make the list. Just because a DVD player can play the disk does not mean that it doesn't have any errors.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jcwillia1

Post by jcwillia1 »

Woodstock wrote:It depends on what is causing the navigation error. Follow the FAQ in my signature and post the debug log for the scan of the disk in a reply here, and maybe we can figure out what the cause is. No need to bother with an attachment; just copy/paste the text from the log file into the message body.

For what it is worth, most navigation errors are due to a dirty disk. Next up is scratched disks, and manufacturing defects also make the list. Just because a DVD player can play the disk does not mean that it doesn't have any errors.

Good call - I checked the disc - really nasty scratch - I'll need to find one of those resurfacing kits. I don't suppose that trying it 100 times with MAKE MKV might get it to work one time?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I'd start with waxing the disk. Spray it with Pledge furniture polish, rub it in with a clean finger until it gets kind of pasty, then polish it with a soft cotton cloth to dry it off. Try ripping it.

For resurfacing, I'd go with someone who knows how to do it and has the right equipment, i.e., a DVD rental place. The kits are questionable quality, and the good equipment isn't cheap.
jcwillia1

Post by jcwillia1 »

Woodstock wrote:I'd start with waxing the disk. Spray it with Pledge furniture polish, rub it in with a clean finger until it gets kind of pasty, then polish it with a soft cotton cloth to dry it off. Try ripping it.

For resurfacing, I'd go with someone who knows how to do it and has the right equipment, i.e., a DVD rental place. The kits are questionable quality, and the good equipment isn't cheap.
Polished, still a no go.

Where in the world do you find a video rental store in today's market?!? :)

what about a gamestop?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

We actually still have DVD rental places in town, but yet, they're getting rare. I've seen a dozen RedBox rental machines in this same "small" town.

But any place that rents DVDs (including games) probably has a resurfacing machine and at least one person who knows how to run it.

But if you want to do it yourself, I'd suggest taking the time to watch some of the videos on the "best" resurface/repair machines, and how to run them. It's too easy to screw them up very badly. :roll: