Movies Without Forced Subtitles Resources?

Everything related to MakeMKV
entryoversteer

Movies Without Forced Subtitles Resources?

Post by entryoversteer »

Hey guys. I'm new to the archiving game. Currently playing full mkv rips through Plex on a Roku 4. I'm having great success for titles that direct stream as well as ones that are transcoding, even as high as 33mbps :-)

I am aware of this spreadsheet noting forced subtitle information here...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... /htmlview#

My question is this, where is an appropriate place to ask about titles that are not mentioned in the spreadsheet?

For example, "Does There Will Be Blood have forced subtitles or can it be ripped without worrying about subtitles?"

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by entryoversteer on Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
entryoversteer

Re: Known Subtitles Resources

Post by entryoversteer »

Hmm, nobody can refer me to a site/specific thread for this purpose?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"Nobody" would not be correct, when a simple Google search for "SRT subtitle files" comes back with so many hits that you REALLY need to specify the title you're searching for and language you want the subtitles in to get useful information.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
entryoversteer

Post by entryoversteer »

Woodstock wrote:"Nobody" would not be correct, when a simple Google search for "SRT subtitle files" comes back with so many hits that you REALLY need to specify the title you're searching for and language you want the subtitles in to get useful information.
I don't want to mess with subtitles at the moment, therefore I'm only interested in movies that do not have any that are forced requiring them handled/remuxed. I watch movies in English.

I have already acknowledged that this isn't an appropriate forum/resource for finding those movies. Yes I spent some time googling for this.

The question is asking for an appropriate forum.

My apologies for lack of clarity in original question.
Woodstock

Re: Movies Without Forced Subtitles Resources?

Post by Woodstock »

Not wanting to mess with subtitles but being interested in forced ones is going to lead to headaches.... :)

I've found that the easiest way to figure out what subtitles to chose is to rip everything, then view the result. Pick a section of video where they're speaking English, and look to see if there are subtitles. If there are, change to another track (I use VLC from videolan.org for this). It is rare that you will have a track where some are marked as "forced"; the usual method is a separate track. You'll also find titles where there are no "forced" subtitles; what would normally be forced are burned in.

You can then use other tools to flag this chosen track as "default", or (more likely to work) make it the first subtitle track. Removing other tracks is possible, too.
entryoversteer

Post by entryoversteer »

Woodstock wrote:Not wanting to mess with subtitles but being interested in forced ones is going to lead to headaches.... :)

I've found that the easiest way to figure out what subtitles to chose is to rip everything, then view the result. Pick a section of video where they're speaking English, and look to see if there are subtitles. If there are, change to another track (I use VLC from videolan.org for this). It is rare that you will have a track where some are marked as "forced"; the usual method is a separate track. You'll also find titles where there are no "forced" subtitles; what would normally be forced are burned in.

You can then use other tools to flag this chosen track as "default", or (more likely to work) make it the first subtitle track. Removing other tracks is possible, too.
I've spent some time researching the possibly tools/workflow to handle them. Currently I'm more interested in trying an oppo BDP with rogue firmware or an older Dune to read ISO and naively handle subtitles. Any experience?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Sorry, since 99% of what I do involves subtitles, I don't have the luxury of assuming there is any "native" way to handle them, so my methods are hands-on. The only time I've seen what approaches "native" handling is when I pick up stuff from the $5 (and less) bin at Walmart, where only one audio track exists and no subtitles are present, to make a "cheap" release.
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

entryoversteer wrote:
Woodstock wrote:Not wanting to mess with subtitles but being interested in forced ones is going to lead to headaches.... :)

I've spent some time researching the possibly tools/workflow to handle them. Currently I'm more interested in trying an oppo BDP with rogue firmware or an older Dune to read ISO and naively handle subtitles. Any experience?
When you playback the backed up BD (as in 1:1 copy via anydvd for example) on a player that has a BD license there is no need to worry about subtitles whatsoever. Just press play, and that's it. I wouldn't recommend an older Dune since they might have problems with newer titles and although they have a BD license do not work for 100% of BDs. The Oppo on the other hand is more reliable, but also way more expensive than a usual media player.
entryoversteer

Post by entryoversteer »

Meister_Proper wrote:
entryoversteer wrote:

When you playback the backed up BD (as in 1:1 copy via anydvd for example) on a player that has a BD license there is no need to worry about subtitles whatsoever. Just press play, and that's it. I wouldn't recommend an older Dune since they might have problems with newer titles and although they have a BD license do not work for 100% of BDs. The Oppo on the other hand is more reliable, but also way more expensive than a usual media player.
Can you recommend any other players other than rogue oppo that will reliably play blu ray iso as licensed?