Getting duplicate files in file list

Everything related to MakeMKV
Yukiko

Getting duplicate files in file list

Post by Yukiko »

I was testing MakeMKV on "Hacksaw Ridge" last night and wasn't paying attention to the file list.I just clicked on the copy files icon. when it was finished I had 30+ 25 Gig copies of the movie on my hard drive. I rescanned the disc and found that there were a lot of duplicate files of 25 Gig size listed. Not all of them were the same exact size and the same was true of the extracted files on disc as well. They didn't vary in size by much though. The same thing happened for Hilary's America but in that case I only had 2 duplicates, again the 2 files were different sizes but only by a fe K bytes.

Any thoughts? Am I doing something wrong?

I should note that when I played the files they appeared to be the same file.
yorgo

Re: Getting duplicate files in file list

Post by yorgo »

This is a form of copy protection called "screenpass" and "playlist obfuscation", basically where one trying to rip a disc is presented with dozens or hundreds of playlists, all but one of which is wrong. I'm oversimplifying here so if you want further information, google around and you'll find lots more info. Specific to Hacksaw Ridge, see this post: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15833.
Yukiko

Post by Yukiko »

Thanks for the info. Is there any way to be sure which file is the good one when presented with a list or is it just trial and error until the good one is found?
TheTerrorBeyond

Post by TheTerrorBeyond »

Yukiko wrote:Thanks for the info. Is there any way to be sure which file is the good one when presented with a list or is it just trial and error until the good one is found?
You can use Java with MakeMKV and it will highlight the proper track (mostly). You have to download the latest Java Runtime and then point MakeMKV to that file in the protection tab of the preferences.

You can also use PowerDVD and ProcessMonitor to find the proper track. I tend to use PowerDVD and Process Monitor.
Media Server: i7-6800k (6-core processor), 32GB RAM, MSI Carbon Pro board, SAS RAID, liquid cooling, NVIDIA 1080SC, (6) 10TB Barracuda Pro, (4)8TB Barracuda Pro, (1) 6TB Barracuda, (1) 4TB Barracuda, (1) Toshiba 512GB SSD, (1) Intel 256GB Intel M.2 SSD.
TheTerrorBeyond

Media Server: i7-6800k (6-core processor), 32GB RAM, MSI Carbon Pro board, SAS RAID, liquid cooling, NVIDIA 1080SC, (6) 10TB Barracuda Pro, (4)8TB Barracuda Pro, (1) 6TB Barracuda, (1) 4TB Barracuda, (1) Toshiba 512GB SSD, (1) Intel 256GB Intel M.2 SSD.
TheTerrorBeyond

This thread shows the result when using Java Runtime with MakeMKV.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15882
Yukiko

Post by Yukiko »

Thanks for all the help! I'll give your ideas a try.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Another tool is RedFox's AnyDVD, which lists the correct playlist(s) after de-encrypting the disc. Works consistently.
Yukiko

Post by Yukiko »

Yes. I'm a long time user of AnyDVD. I had not purchased a new license since Red Fox took it over. I tried to buy a license a week ago but the company that processes their credit cards couldn't complete the payment with my bank and I don't know an easy way to buy fairy dust. So for now I'm using the older version with my SlySoft license and that version won't read newer Blu-Ray discs.

In fact, my inability to buy an AnyDVD license was how I discovered MakeMKV. :)