Regarding ordering a region locked title?

Everything related to MakeMKV
MVCurt

Regarding ordering a region locked title?

Post by MVCurt »

Hi,
I`m a big fan of the 2 first RoboCop movies and later this month Shout! Factory is releasing a special edition of Robocop2 with remastered picture and tons of extras.
Problem is that it is region locked so I cant play it on my ps4.
Do you guys think if I order it I will be able to rip it....for personal use only.... by using MAKEMKV ?
Its better to watch the whole thing as files or not to be able to watch it at all........
I can rip various dvd regions if I want to but I have no idea if the same goes with blu-ray discs?
Or if Shout! Factory ues some kind of copy protection on their releases?
Thanks
Woodstock

Re: Regarding ordering a region locked title?

Post by Woodstock »

Bluray's version of region locking is done in software on the player. If the software doesn't care, the "lock" isn't there. But software and hardware sold to play BDs has to care... so your PS4 enforces the lock.

MakeMKV does not care about it. In fact, I've found the various "You can't play this in your region" messages in what MakeMKV rips from "region locked" BDs, along with the video. I think the last Disney BD I ripped had 3 or 4 of them.

I've ripped BDs from Europe and Asia, in addition to my "normal" North America region, with no issues.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging