Feature Request: show movie/file name when loaded

Everything related to MakeMKV
cwhimster

Feature Request: show movie/file name when loaded

Post by cwhimster »

When you load a dvdmedia/Blu-Ray file, you no longer see the name of the movie. If you are doing lots of conversions, over many days, sometimes it is easy to get lost, and if the interface would show the name of the file even after loading it, it would really help. If this is not already available somehow (I don't see it), please show it somewhere. It would be fantastic if the UI would also show if a movie has just been converted or not, as well.

Thanks, from a satisfied user who is converting his 600+ movie library over a period of many months...
Woodstock

Re: Feature Request: show movie/file name when loaded

Post by Woodstock »

I'm confused - if the DVD or BD has its name in the proper place, it's copied into the name field.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
cwhimster

Post by cwhimster »

That is a big if though. Most Blu-Rays have proper titles, but many many DVDs do not, and most of my collection is DVDs. I cannot attach images, but for example, my 9 1/2 Weeks DVD shows FOXINTERNATIONAL as the movie name, and I get title00.mkv when converted. Many DVDs have the name DVDVOLUME. If the "Source Information" section shown after loading and after converting would show the filename, that would be a big help. Also, if the title ends up being something like title00, just use the filename, that would be another huge help, since most of my rips have been named properly.

Thanks.
HazMatt

Post by HazMatt »

I just registered to post a similar feature request. I agree with cwhimster in that the default file names are often not helpfully named at all. More often than not, it's "title00.mkv", which cause conflicts when ripping multiple disks one after the other.

It would be very handy to be able to set the final file name before ripping, as part of the MakeMKV user interface. All that would be needed from the user perspective is a new column next to each track where you could specify a custom file name. If that were the case, I wouldn't need to return to the OS to rename the file between each disk.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Hopefully you're both aware that, if you have Expert mode turned on (Preferences->General), you can change the "properties" box to include the name of the disk (whatever you want it to be), and that will cascade down to the individual titles?
HazMatt

Post by HazMatt »

Yaaassss that's the ticket! Although it seems as though "File name" is the proper choice from the popup list. The other two choices are "Name" and "Metadata language".

Thanks Woodstock!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You can also edit the file names on each title, if you want. When dealing with TV series, I use copy/paste a LOT. :)