Version 1.10.5 fails to recognize BD drive on program start

Everything related to MakeMKV
TheBeagle

Version 1.10.5 fails to recognize BD drive on program start

Post by TheBeagle »

I have a fully licensed version of MakeMKV, Version 1.10.5, which functions perfectly when using downloaded BD files. However, upon program startup, it indicates that "The program can't find any usable optical drives." The existing BD writer is indeed fully recognized by the POST, Device Manager, and all other programs which utilize that drive. Can someone shed some light on this problem and how to fix it? Thanks. TheBeagle
Woodstock

Re: Version 1.10.5 fails to recognize BD drive on program st

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV asks the operating system for a list of installed optical drives. If the operating system doesn't list any, then MakeMKV says it can't find any drives.

The question is, WHY is the operating system not telling MakeMKV about the drive?

Since you mention the power-on self test (POST), am I correct in assuming you've done a shutdown and restart on the machine? Sometimes the operating system's view of a device can be corrupted, and only a full reset will cause it to re-read the device's information.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
moparmaniac

Re: Version 1.10.5 fails to recognize BD drive on program st

Post by moparmaniac »

Hi. Not sure what version of operating system you are using, but I ran into this with the latest build. I could uninstall and reinstall and it would work on the first run. After that it would return to not finding a drive.

What ended up working for me was to go to the .exe file or start menu link for makeMKV and set it to Run as Administrator. Once I did that, I haven't had issues.