Hitachi BD drive cannot rip

Everything related to MakeMKV
fitbrit

Hitachi BD drive cannot rip

Post by fitbrit »

I recently bought a Hitachi A40N drive, which I think may be a rebranded LG CA40N drive, since the names are similar and both are slot-loading. Unfortunately, the decryption component of MakeMKV doesn't appear to work with this drive and produces arrors (see attached files). When I install some external decrytion program, MakeMKV protests, but then works fine, and even rips at a faster speed than it used to with my other drives. Can there be some kind of solution so that a $100+ decryption program is not needed with this drive?

Looks like I cannot attach the images. Will try another way.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/39xk8wb7ht1g6 ... e.PNG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/frxji5798pxcl ... e.PNG?dl=0
Woodstock

Re: Hitachi BD drive cannot rip

Post by Woodstock »

If it is a relabeled LG drive, they work fine with MakeMKV, assuming no hardware problems with them. I use 4 different LG drives here.

Your pictures show that the hardware isn't talking to MakeMKV. This same 44A0 error showed up in this topic, which involved (bad) interactions with the Windows antivirus program: http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10628
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
fitbrit

Post by fitbrit »

Thanks for the response. In the thread you linked to, it seemed that BitDefender was the culprit. We only use the standard Microsoft Defender anti-virus, not BitDefender. We'll try making an exception for MakeMKV, and then disabling altogether to see if that works. Somehow, though, running DVDFab key allows MakeMKV to run just fine with all our default antivirus settings.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Since MakeMKV has its own key system, which requires access to the hardware, I would have to wonder if something in your DVDFab setup is preventing that access, UNLESS DVDFab is running.

MakeMKV does not require any other program to be running to work with DVD or BD disks. But that doesn't mean it can't be interfered with by other programs.
fitbrit

Post by fitbrit »

It was the other way around. We installed DVDFab out of desperation when MakeMKV did not work. Before that we tried everything we could; we then (reluctantly) installed DVDFab, and now it works.
Last edited by fitbrit on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

And you've tried running MakeMKV as an administrator, so it has full drive access? That's flat-out weird...