Hash check errors - good to use drive while waiting on new?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Idaho121

Hash check errors - good to use drive while waiting on new?

Post by Idaho121 »

I've been getting hash check errors on some disks, which the FAQ tells me means the Blu-Ray drive is failing. However, on other disks, I'm fine.

I accept that that doesn't prove the drive is fine, and I'm replacing it. In the meantime, is it okay to continue to use the drive to rip for the disks on which it does work, or is there a chance that something'll get messed up and not caught by using this drive?
Woodstock

Re: Hash check errors - good to use drive while waiting on n

Post by Woodstock »

Hash checks aren't necessarily the drive - more often, it's the disk itself. And cleaning the disk fixes the majority of the issues, unless you have visible scratches.

Some drives will not give an error if it can make out SOMETHING from the sector. Hash checks will show the bad data. That's one reason that MakeMKV defaults to doing hash checks even when writing to MKV files instead of a backup.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Krawk

Re: Hash check errors - good to use drive while waiting on n

Post by Krawk »

Woodstock wrote:Hash checks aren't necessarily the drive - more often, it's the disk itself. And cleaning the disk fixes the majority of the issues, unless you have visible scratches.

Some drives will not give an error if it can make out SOMETHING from the sector. Hash checks will show the bad data. That's one reason that MakeMKV defaults to doing hash checks even when writing to MKV files instead of a backup.
The FAQ says the drive is bad - period.

I have had several copies of Region A release of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation Season 1 and the same discs in all the sets have the same errors. I think it's a mastering or replicating error.
If I copy the files to a folder on the hard drive though with AnyDvd running in the background I can rip the folders afterwards with Dvd Fab without any issues. MakeMKV screams that the data is not encrypted and halts. As far as any other discs I have ever tried ripping that give Hash errors - ZERO.