Disc Main Movie selection

Everything related to MakeMKV
ratty

Disc Main Movie selection

Post by ratty »

Not used makeMKV for a while so when i tried to back up a bluray recently, i was stumped on which file to select (for example : Sin City 2 there was over 20 files all around 5gb. Had absolutely no idea which files to select).

Im sure in the past the option was there to select Main Movie only in the drop downs. Whats happened?

PS just looked at X-Men apocalypse and theres no distinction between all the files. Ive selected the largest file and hoped for the best. Is that the only way to do it now?
brellyn2

Re: Disc Main Movie selection

Post by brellyn2 »

You're probably running into playlist obfuscation. Many titles that all look the same, but the segments of the movie are shuffled and out of order in all but one, usually. Size is irrelevant, so there's a good change you'll have to re-rip those titles.

If you have Java installed and referenced in the protection tab of the preferences menu, you'll notice a line at the very top of the list that includes the phrase "(FPL_MainFeature)". That's the track you want to burn. deselect everything else.
ratty

Post by ratty »

Cheers, but how do enable the java?

Under the protection tab its asking for 'custom Java executable location' i tried pointing it at the main java directory but theres a lot of dll files in there.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If Java is "properly installed", the path should be found automatically, but... Who knows what is proper with Java? :)

I would browse to, and click on, "java.exe", which is the actual program.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ratty

Post by ratty »

Done that but still not seeing this "(FPL_MainFeature)"

Would someone do the great honours and post a picture so i know what im looking for?

Thanks.
TheTerrorBeyond

Post by TheTerrorBeyond »

TheTerrorBeyond wrote:If you install JRE, then point MakeMKV to it, you will see the following on playlist obfuscated discs:

Media Server: i7-6800k (6-core processor), 32GB RAM, MSI Carbon Pro board, SAS RAID, liquid cooling, NVIDIA 1080SC, (6) 10TB Barracuda Pro, (4)8TB Barracuda Pro, (1) 6TB Barracuda, (1) 4TB Barracuda, (1) Toshiba 512GB SSD, (1) Intel 256GB Intel M.2 SSD.
ratty

Post by ratty »

Nope not seeing that. Ive checked to make sure Java is installed etc etc but still no main feature indication. This disc is more obvious to copy due to the chapter numbers but the last disc was just a mass of files.

[URL=http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/ ... .png[/img][/url]
trumpet205

Post by trumpet205 »

That's not playlist obfuscation. Just standard Blu-ray with several titles (bonus features on the disc). In that X-Men disc the first entry is indeed the main feature film.

Playlist obfuscation is when you are dealing with multiple entries with about the same playtime and same size, with each entries having random segment map. MakeMKV can try to tell you which one is the main feature film under playlist obfuscation because these discs are actually loaded with Java programs that tell Blu-ray player the correct playlist.

For standard Blu-ray, the largest size is typically the main feature film. MakeMKV will not you which one is the correct playlist on standard Blu-ray. Standard Blu-ray does not use Java programs in this manner.
ratty

Post by ratty »

Yep, thats pretty much what i suspected. Thanks guys, ill look at the other disc later and confirm that JRE is running.