Improve the message about cells and VOBUs to be scanned

Everything related to MakeMKV
rippinrod

Improve the message about cells and VOBUs to be scanned

Post by rippinrod »

When a complex multiplex is encountered makemkv displays a message like this:

Complex multiplex encountered - 18 cells and 10352 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take ...

Then in the information box it displays the following information (for example, when nearly done scanning):

Current cell: 15/18
Current VOBU: 1558105

I can see that it is scanning the 15th of 18 cells and the current VOBU being scanned is 1558105.

My question is, how does the current VOBU number (1558105) correlate to the information that 18 cells and 10352 VOBUs have to be scanned? How can I predict how high the Current VOBU number is going to before the scan is finished?

I notice that the Current VOBU number starts from zero and just keeps increasing. It does not go back to zero at the start of scanning the next cell. So it seems that there are thousands of VOBUs per cell and the Current VOBU number shows the total number of VOBUs scanned so far accumulated across all cells scanned so far. If so, then I think it would be more helpful for the user if message from makemkv would say something like "Need to scan a total of 1651740 VOBUs in 18 cells."

I find myself watching the "Current VOBU" number and trying to guess how far it has to go, but I have no idea how high the Current VOBU number is going to go before it is finished. Watching the Current cell number is more helpful for monitoring the overall scanning process.

My point is that if makemkv would tell me the total number of VOBUs that will be scanned then I would know the exact progress from the Current VOBU number.