Subtitle question...Assassin Creed and Lion

Everything related to MakeMKV
THenryJr

Subtitle question...Assassin Creed and Lion

Post by THenryJr »

Hi...trying to figure out an issue i've had with subtitles and to see if anyone has a solution. Just ripped Assassin's Creed (2016). The rip worked as it should...except for subtitles. The default boxes were checked...

PGS English
PGS English (forced only)

When I played back there were no subtitles (movie is in english)...the problem was in the dialogue that is in a non-english language...there were no subtitles for those...even though on playback in a Blu-ray player subtitles come up for the non-english parts.

I re-ripped and unchecked PGS English (forced only)...so only the PGS English was checked. That gave me subtitles for the entire movie. I'm fine with that...but would like to know if there is a way to rip where only the non-english parts have subtitles as in normal Blu-ray playback.

This same thing happens with the movie Lion (2016).

I'm running a 2015 (Late Model) iMac with Sierra 10.12.4

Thanks
Woodstock

Re: Subtitle question...Assassin Creed and Lion

Post by Woodstock »

How many subtitle tracks did you find? The "forced only" track you see below a particular subtitle track is one MakeMKV will create, by looking at the "main" track, and seeing if any are marked as "forced". It is almost always removed because it is empty... Few disk authors make use of the "forced" flag.

More likely is the main track is the "forced only" track, just without flags.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
THenryJr

Post by THenryJr »

I figured it out. MakeMKV was transferring the subtitles correctly. I take the MKV file and usually use iFlicks 2 to convert the file to an M4V....iFlicks was not transferring the subtitles. Used Handbrake and it worked.

Thanks for the help.
Sparty10

Post by Sparty10 »

THenryJr wrote:I figured it out. MakeMKV was transferring the subtitles correctly. I take the MKV file and usually use iFlicks 2 to convert the file to an M4V....iFlicks was not transferring the subtitles. Used Handbrake and it worked.

Thanks for the help.

What handbrake settings did you use? I've tried a variety of combinations and struggling to get the subtitles for Lion.