Newbie Questions

Everything related to MakeMKV
hdtvjeff

Newbie Questions

Post by hdtvjeff »

Hi,

Just discovered MakeMKV after using anydvd for years and not wanting to use fairy dust to purchase new license.

My questions about MakeMKV are:

1) Does it receive updates as frequently as anydvd does so new Blu ray discs can be decrypted? When will it be out of "BETA"?

2) Is decryption done via connection to a Make MKV server?

3) Can Make MKV take already decrypted M2TS files (Not from a DVD or blu ray source) on a hard drive and make them into a MKV?

4) If my primary dvd/bluray burner is not working properly, am I allowed to run it on a second PC or do I have to deactivate the current PC to do a an install on PC # 2?

Thank You !
Woodstock

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV can run completely without an internet connection. If you purchase a key, it's for "lifetime", and you avoid having to enter a new beta key every couple of months.

I have no clue how often AnyDVD updates. You can view the update history of MakeMKV here: /download/ You be the judge.

Most updates involve replacing the AACS keys when the disk authors get around to black-listing the one MakeMKV uses. While they AACS versions update regularly, key revocation usually isn't more than a couple of times per year. Updates to handle BD+ encryption can happen at any time, because they're usually disk-specific, and MakeMKV can download files to handle new encryption on an as-needed basis. More information here: /svq/

As for "when will it be out of beta", most of us hope "never". There is a lot of software out there that never leaves beta - Windows 10 is an example. Everyone running it is a beta tester. "Release" versions are "feature fixed", and only bugs will be repaired. Beta software can mutate in ways that software that has "release" versions usually don't.

Should MakeMKV ever leave beta, those rules about BD "trial run" periods will be more rigidly enforced.

I can't answer your question about converting raw m2ts files to MKV files, but there are other programs that specialize in that.

And the MakeMKV license allows you to run it on whatever machine you own. The license covers Linux, Windows, and Mac. I have it installed on two machines permanently, and could install it on others if necessary. When I have more than a few dozen disks to rip, I have kept 3 machines and 5 drives busy to get it done quickly. But that's rare now.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
hdtvjeff

Post by hdtvjeff »

Thank you so much for answering ALL of my questions !
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

I use both AnyDVD and MakeMKV.

1. Stable releases of both have very similar frequency, with maybe AnyDVD edging MakeMKV -- such a small difference that I wouldn't worry about it. However, on rare occasions when a new disc is released with a new copy protection scheme, AnyDVD tends to release an update to defeat the encryption more quickly (usually no more than a day or two, often less); MakeMKV can take days or even weeks. I have to repeat that this is not a common occurence just that it does happen.

3. MakeMKV cannot convert an .m2ts file to .mkv. I've used mkvtoolnix for that.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

One thing about MakeMKV though is you do not need an additional application to rip the actual movie to a usable file on the PC. ANYDVD pairs with Clone BD.
Also, MakeMKV is not susceptible to Streetlock protection. It's nice to have both packages but if I were to pick 1 it would be MakeMKV.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

I totally agree, MakeMKV is generally the more useful tool (for me) and it doesn't require AnyDVD (a plus) but I prefer AnyDVD as a de-encrypter for MakeMKV for reasons stated earlier and for discovery of obfuscated playlists. AnyDVD and CloneBD do seem to have a strategic partnership but AnyDVD works nicely with other software as well; on rare occasions I use mkvtoolnix, CloneDVD, and TSMuxerGUI, which require a de-encrypted disc, ie AnyDVD. But as a "one-stop shop", MakeMKV is best of breed.