Encoding entire disc

Everything related to MakeMKV
buzzshipman

Encoding entire disc

Post by buzzshipman »

I'm sure this has been discussed but I couldn't find anything in search. I love this program and have used it for many blu rays to add to my server. The problem is I have some TV show blu rays and others that have multiple shows on them. I want to encode the entire disc so it plays just like the regular disc so I don't have tons of individual episodes. Is this possible at all and can makemkv do this or do I need something else.

Thanks,
Kevin
Woodstock

Re: Encoding entire disc

Post by Woodstock »

For Bluray, that's "Backup", which will copy the BD file structure (optionally removing encryption) to your drive as a directory. If your player is BD-aware, it can then play menus and everything else. If you really love extras and stuff like that, this is the way to go.

"Backup" is not available for DVD, so a different tool than MakeMKV, which can rip to an ISO file, is the way to go for those, as long as your player is DVD/ISO capable.

Of course, modern hardware players can deal with playing lists of titles straight through, so individual files is not a bad thing, either, AND you can do things like re-encode the files with tools like handbrake (from handbrake.fr) to make them smaller. Animated titles can shrink 80-90%, and most BD movies will shrink at least 30%, and often 50% of original size. And some disks have multiple gigabytes of extras; saving those for multiple viewings is only for movies that are too boring on their own, in my opinion... :)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging