Newbie needing lots of help

Everything related to MakeMKV
robrpb

Newbie needing lots of help

Post by robrpb »

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, if not please move it to the correct place.

I have been using MakeMKV for a couple months without any problems. I have been focusing mainly on non-blu-ray DVD'z until now. I have been using the default settings and things have been pretty straight forward.

I have ripped some blu-rays without any problems until now and now I am seeing obfuscation. I have been reading some things about it both here and on the internet. I would prefer to keep my reading here as I like this software and I would like to better understand it and use it more than just basically plug and play.

Since I have been using the default settings, do I need to change them to combat this problem?

The information that is displayed during the initial process is foreign to me. Are there any tutorials with step by step instructions to help me? When there are multiple files I would like to learn how to choose the correct file to rip.

I am ripping my movies to a hard drive to watch on Plex.

Thank you.
sergneri

Re: Newbie needing lots of help

Post by sergneri »

robrpb,
Difficult to figure out your problem from the post you left, can you be very, very specific about the issue, include any error messages or details on what isn't working for you.
Cheers
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

For MakeMKV's code that tries to figure out the obfuscation to work, you have to install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from java.com.

Once it is installed, MakeMKV should detect it. Then, when you insert a disk with obfuscation on it, MakeMKV will attempt to find the correct play list, and move it to the top of the selections, complete with a "Main Feature" label.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
robrpb

Post by robrpb »

Thank you both for your replies.

One question I have is after I installing Java Runtime Environment (JRE), do I need to make any changes to MakeMKV? I noticed that in MakeMKV under Preferences, then the Protection tab on the bottom it says Custom Java executable location. Do I need to do anything here?

In Preferences under the General tab I have checked all four boxes. Is that correct?

In Preferences under the Video tab under Options what is or how do I select the correct "Minimum title length (seconds)"?

One of the things I would like to learn is how to properly set up MakeMKV for blu-rays. Also, I would like to learn how to interpret the data that MakeMKV is giving me. I have used the search function to try to find this information. Sometimes with success, but mostly the results were not what I was specifically looking for. I have been reading various posts gleaming some information.

Thank you for your help.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

In most cases, MakeMKV should detect the JRE location without intervention. You will not see a difference in MakeMKV operation UNLESS you insert a disk with obfuscation on it, in which case the titles in the selection window will show additional labels, and the most likely candidate for "main feature" will be moved to the top of the list, and be labeled as such.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging