www.makemkv.com

MakeMKV support forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:02 pm 

Whats the preferred BD drive for ripping these days? (Internal)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:26 pm 

I like LGs, as posted in several other of these topics found here (we get the question about once per month); Others hate them.

I find few problems with Samsung drives, other than they're generally slower than the LGs I have; Others say they're junk at best.

Others like Pioneer. And, you know, I haven't seen many people complain about Pioneer drives.

So, a lot comes down to whether or not you plan on buying a drive that claims to be able to handle UHD/4K video (which no current ripping software can do), or "inexpensive and works with regular stuff". All of the drives that claim UHD capability work fine with MakeMKV for "regular" BD content.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:31 pm 

Ah, good to get a feel for the brand's. I was actually hoping for a particular model recommendation. I have one drive that is locked and one that isn't. Definitely hope to avoid another locked model :/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:51 pm 

"Locked" as in "rip-locked"? Or one that got locked by an AACS version and stopped loading BDs?

I have not experienced rip-lock on LGs or Samsung, but some drive manufacturers (including Pioneer) have a "quiet mode" that limits ripping speeds unless you turn it off. In the case of Pioneer, you have to turn it off with a Windows computer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:49 am 

Woodstock wrote:
"Locked" as in "rip-locked"? Or one that got locked by an AACS version and stopped loading BDs?

I have not experienced rip-lock on LGs or Samsung, but some drive manufacturers (including Pioneer) have a "quiet mode" that limits ripping speeds unless you turn it off. In the case of Pioneer, you have to turn it off with a Windows computer.

Ah, yes, riplocked. I was thinking about either the WH14NS40 or the WH16NS40

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:28 am 

Either should work, but... "Silent Play" is LG's version of the issue I mentioned with Pioneer drives. When it detects that you've loaded something it recognizes as "playable media" (as opposed to "just" a data disk), it will limit the rotational speed to keep the drive from making noise. It needs to be disabled to get full ripping potential out of the drive.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:24 am 

LG

I got the Pioneer UHD Blu-ray drive and it's really picky about reading disks with the tiniest imperfections and scratches. The LG reads it like a boss.