www.makemkv.com

MakeMKV support forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:58 am 

Hi,

Quick question, for movies that require a lot of a audio sync work by MakeMKV (example seamless branching BDs), is it safe to reduce the DTS-HD track to core after ripping it with MakeMKV or will that new track lose the syncing work done by MakeMKV? I would test it, but I'd have too many files to test, and I wanna batch process them with mkvmerge.

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:34 pm 

The core should not lose sync just because you removed the loss-less part. The adjustments made to the audio sync make the audio and video tracks the same length.

Normally, though, MakeMKV can give you two tracks on an DTS-HD, the "core" and the loss-less versions, because of limitations in the MKV format. I configure my copy to include both tracks (actually, ALL audio tracks) so that I can have options later.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:40 pm 

Woodstock wrote:
The core should not lose sync just because you removed the loss-less part. The adjustments made to the audio sync make the audio and video tracks the same length.

Normally, though, MakeMKV can give you two tracks on an DTS-HD, the "core" and the loss-less versions, because of limitations in the MKV format. I configure my copy to include both tracks (actually, ALL audio tracks) so that I can have options later.

okay thank you,

do you happen to know which track MakeMKV cuts to make them the same length ? audio / video

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:55 pm 

MakeMKV reports sync adjustments in the log, and what it did about them, like this:

Code:
004008:0010 AV sync issue in stream 2 at 0:01:25.085 with duration of 7ms : encountered overlapping frame, audio skew is +35ms
004008:0010 AV sync issue in stream 2 at 0:01:25.120 with duration of 32ms : 1 frame(s) dropped to reduce audio skew to +3ms
004008:0010 AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:01:25.085 with duration of 0.833ms : 1 frame(s) dropped to reduce audio skew to +0ms

Usually it involves dropping just one or two "frames" from the audio tracks.