Blu-ray SHERLOCK HOLMES (2009) does not capture any subtitle

Everything related to MakeMKV
dom61

Blu-ray SHERLOCK HOLMES (2009) does not capture any subtitle

Post by dom61 »

Good morning
I can not detect any subtitle with this disk once the mkv file is created the report tells me that the traces of forced subtitles are empty and are removed even if I have selected normal subtitles.

To get a confirmation I used Stream Extractor to perform the demux of pgs subtitles, and I checked that they are complete and working.
I did another test by creating the mkv file with other commercial software, the subtitles are present and working.
Maybe this Blu-ray has a particular structure for MakeMKV?
I ask if it is possible to resolve this anomaly for this title.

Thank you
Zidoo Z9X | HiMedia Q5 Pro and Q10 Pro | ZDMC 20.1 | Remote WeChip | Splitter HDMI HDFury AVR-KEY | Display LG 65B6V | Audio processor Yamaha RX-V775 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Storage Qnap Ts-431K +TL-D800C
My PC Ryzen 7950X
Woodstock

Re: Blu-ray SHERLOCK HOLMES (2009) does not capture any subt

Post by Woodstock »

Subtitles are, in general, a pain to deal with.

Tracks created with the "forced only" (solo forzato) box checked are almost always empty, because the authors do not use the forced flag. The only track you will end up with is the "main" track above it.

As for "working", is the track that was extracted flagged as "default" by MakeMKV? While most software and hardware players I have worked with ignore the "default" flag, there are some that use it. If you have one of those, you should still be able to select a non-default track from the subtitles menu of the player.

If this is the case, you will need to create a profile that sets the default flag for the extracted track. If you were processing the file with handbrake after ripping, this is simple, but it CAN be done in MakeMKV... But I can't tell you exactly how to do it without digging through forum messages. Hopefully others know it and can post it.

Basically it involves making sure your favorite language's subtitles get listed first, then setting the first subtitle track as "default". These are actually the OPPOSITE of the settings I use, so I might get it wrong if I tell you how to do it. :roll: I use handbrake to process everything, so I use the subtitle controls in it to sort things out.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dom61

Post by dom61 »

However, I have verified that the problem also occurs in the same way, even by selecting only normal subtitle, excluding the forced ones.
In fact, MakeMKV, with this disc, can not integrate subtitles.
What I do not understand why other software can create the file correctly, including subtitles.
Zidoo Z9X | HiMedia Q5 Pro and Q10 Pro | ZDMC 20.1 | Remote WeChip | Splitter HDMI HDFury AVR-KEY | Display LG 65B6V | Audio processor Yamaha RX-V775 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Storage Qnap Ts-431K +TL-D800C
My PC Ryzen 7950X
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

What are you using for playback?

I would check the file with VLC, from videolan.org, to verify that the subtitles are not there. VLC will let you select any subtitle track in the file to make sure it is there.

I have not experienced an issue with MakeMKV not being able to copy a subtitle track from the source to the MKV file, unless the file itself was damaged. So we first need to determine if it is a case where it is not there, or your playback software just cannot see it.
dom61

Post by dom61 »

I play the file both with MPHC and VLC, but just check with mediainfo the file obtained with MakeMKV with the same file obtained with other programs.
I would like to send the file for you to do tests, I could send all the decrypted Blu-ray, or try to cut it to reduce the size.
However, from the tests I did, I noticed that the file created by MakeMKV subtitled stream contains a few KB, in practice empty, this I have verified with both MediaInfo and by demo subtitling with tsMuxer.

Demux file created with MKV

Demux file created with other software
My PC Ryzen 7950X
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Send an email to support@makemkv.com, to get Mike's attention - he's the one you would need to communicate on this, as far as samples are concerned.
dom61

Post by dom61 »

Thank you.
Now I send the communication of the problem.
My PC Ryzen 7950X
spl147

Post by spl147 »

dom61 wrote:Good morning
I can not detect any subtitle with this disk once the mkv file is created the report tells me that the traces of forced subtitles are empty and are removed even if I have selected normal subtitles.

To get a confirmation I used Stream Extractor to perform the demux of pgs subtitles, and I checked that they are complete and working.
I did another test by creating the mkv file with other commercial software, the subtitles are present and working.
Maybe this Blu-ray has a particular structure for MakeMKV?
I ask if it is possible to resolve this anomaly for this title.

Thank you
the movie in question DOES NOT have any forced subtitles! IE: NO subtitles for non english speaking parts

confirmed here as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1198873864

dom61

Post by dom61 »

Maybe I explained to you badly and I apologize, I have selected the subtitles in Italian and MakeMKV does not detect any type of subtitle that is normal and forced, this is the problem.
Other software that with Blu-ray to MKV lossless function properly detects all the subtitles, I have already sent the report to
Makemkv support.

Anyway I checked the subtitles in English and there are also forced.

My PC Ryzen 7950X