Disc is in excellent condition but cannot rip properly

Everything related to MakeMKV
Curandbow

Disc is in excellent condition but cannot rip properly

Post by Curandbow »

I am having an issue with titles being recognized by MakeMKV. It seems like most every DVD is missing main titles because they are assumed fake. So I have been adding the titles manually: 1:1-7; 2:1-7; 3:1-7; etc... (each title has 7 chapters). The issue I'm having is nearly every DVD I try to rip only can rip every other title. So I have to keep going back and trying to get the other titles to rip. After much work it eventually will allow me to get each title. Am I doing something terribly wrong? Is it my DVD player that is causing issues?
Thanks in advance!
Woodstock

Re: Disc is in excellent condition but cannot rip properly

Post by Woodstock »

Some disks are simply mastered weirdly. I've had to work with Mike on a couple of the Bleach DVDs that were similar to what you're experiencing; The directories did not point to the proper VOB files to read the episodes in order or complete. Manual mode managed to get the episodes assembled. I do not know if Mike every committed the "fix" to work around the issue... I didn't care at the time, once the DVD was ripped.

Note that this was 2 disks out of a series that had over 65 disks; Viz Media just screwed up. The rest were fine, although they alternated back and forth between "All episodes in one file", "All episodes in separate files", and "both all-in-one and separate episodes".

Submitting the information asked for in the FAQ link in my signature is one step to getting it fixed in the future, though. If Mike needs more information, he'll ask for it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Curandbow

(FIX) Re: Disc is in excellent condition but cannot rip prop

Post by Curandbow »

I found that there was a FIRMWARE update available for my DVD drive. After flashing the new firmware it appears that titles are ripping as expected. I still need to manually load the titles, but I can live with that!