Computer Restarts when Processing

Everything related to MakeMKV
ajcrusade

Computer Restarts when Processing

Post by ajcrusade »

Hello, I have been have an odd issue with the latest version. (1.10.8). Once I have selected the title and begin to process, the computer will restart on it's own. It seems to happen at random as well, sometimes it does it nearly at the begnining and or about 500 MB processed. I have checked the event viewer logs and only find that it was an unexpected shutdown. I can't seem to find the issue. I have tried the following:
  • Switched out DVD to check if there was an issue there
    Uninstalled and re-installed makemkv
    Tried to play video with another program to make sure it plays
    Checked event logs each time has reset
    Ran msconfig and disabled all other services
    Tried a system restore to a period where I knew I had a successful MKV run.
    Finally, re-installed windows 10 Pro
No luck. I saw there was another post about 5 years ago but it appears to be related to window XP couldn't see what was the link between the two. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Woodstock

Re: Computer Restarts when Processing

Post by Woodstock »

Random resets should not, of course, happen. And you've done a lot of troubleshooting of common things that cause them.

What CPU monitoring do you have installed? Do you have a memory test utility that can sweep your RAM for defects? What you describe is consistent with a couple of scenarios.

1 - Temperature issue, caused by cooling problems. I discount this because MakeMKV is really not that CPU intensive. If your cooling passages were plugged, you'd see temperature problems with a lot of applications. A CPU temperature monitor program can help with determining that.

2 - RAM instability. This one will show up randomly, especially because Win10 randomizes memory assignments, but it will manifest in applications that use large memory buffers... Like MakeMKV. You can tell MakeMKV to use a larger or smaller buffer, but the automatic mode seems to setting on about 500MB if you have enough RAM, and the RAM usage goes up and down during the rip. If it happens to hit a bad spot in the memory, you can end up with a reset.

There are a lot of free memory test programs out there, but they take a long time to verify all RAM in the system. Try shrinking MakeMKV's buffer size first (Preferences->IO menu) to see if that changes the behavior. Go for the RAM test either way, though.

3 - Other hardware issue. You've covered most of those. And, frankly, most things that can reset the CPU directly without giving Windows a chance to log SOMETHING are hardware related.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging