Avast and Windows Defender blocking 1.12.0

Everything related to MakeMKV
tkelly

Avast and Windows Defender blocking 1.12.0

Post by tkelly »

SSIA. Windows Defender chimes in when I run the installer. Avast doesn't seem to like any EXE associated with the program, whether that means the installer, the program itself or even the uninstaller.

Uninstalled until you can clarify what's going on and fix the behavior.
Woodstock

Re: Avast and Windows Defender blocking 1.12.0

Post by Woodstock »

Have you submitted the download file to Avast to have them check it?

Submitting the URL to virustotal.com comes up with zero hits, and the file hash they compute matches the one on the download page. Submitting the downloaded file to them (rather than the URL) generates the same hash, and comes up with one hit for "eGambit", with a detection of "Unsafe.AI_Score_88%", and no explanation.

AVG hasn't complained about the EXE.

Ultimately the decision is yours to make, and which antivirus you trust. But I'd definitely ask Avast to check the file, if that's who you trust. Windows Defender is.... Um... Yeah.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tkelly

Re: Avast and Windows Defender blocking 1.12.0

Post by tkelly »

I submitted it to Avast. They sent me a message clearing the installer, but Avast is still checking on the primary EXE for the app itself. Windows Defender is also still blocking the installer initially, and the message says it's because there's no publisher marked on the install EXE. Should be a simple fix if that's all that it is.