mkv from bluray not playable in windows video & tv app

Everything related to MakeMKV
telemarker

mkv from bluray not playable in windows video & tv app

Post by telemarker »

hi there,

i found a strange issue here. when ripping the files and try to play them with the video & tv app i go an error.
however if i put the files into mkvtoolnix and output them - there is no issue.

even the stupid pgs subtitles are recognizes and displayed quite well.
it would be nice to have immediately the playable mkv-files like mkvtoolnix creates them.

best regards
telemarker
Last edited by telemarker on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
preserve

Re: bluray not playable in windows video & tv app

Post by preserve »

What is the name of the "windows video & tv app" are you using and what is the error?

The MKV files created by MakeMKV are immediately playable with all features (subtitles, multiple audio tracks, chapters, etc) by many common software players such as MPC-HC, MPV and VLC. You might want to investigate one of those options.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
telemarker

Re: bluray not playable in windows video & tv app

Post by telemarker »

as i told it's the standard movies & tv app which runs smoothly most of the x264 and avc videos.
it's a standard app on any win10 system and replaced the windows media player.
i am using vlc whenever i need support for dts audio.

the error code is: 0xc00d3e8c
playback not possible, format not supported

by the way, it used to work fine with older versions of makemkv.
Woodstock

Re: mkv from bluray not playable in windows video & tv app

Post by Woodstock »

What happens if you play the file with a more capable software package, like VLC? The Windows application is not capable of playing all codecs that can be found in a Bluray rip.

I know, because I tried it, before I gave up on Win10 completely.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
telemarker

Post by telemarker »

hey woodstock,
would you be so kind and read my post again carefully?

i have a file created by makemkv from a bluray with the result that i can play it in vlc only - not on movies & tv app (i got an error).
however if i parse this file through mkvtoolnix which to my knowlegde does not change the codec of the video file i can suddently play it on movies & tv app too (no errors at all - even pgs subtitles are shown).

all i am wondering is, why could makemkv not directly create a file like mkvtoolnix does?
best regards
telemarker

ps: i did not ask on opinions about what player is better or what os to use (i think everybody here is grown up and made their own choice based on their own experience).
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Which version of MakeMKV and MkvToolNix are used? MakeMKV 1.12 and MkvToolNix 20.0.0 are the current versions. So it looks like, that your "windows video & tv app" (stilll don't know what you are mean with this) has a less tolerance level.
Checking the MKV header (Segement Info -> Multiplex application) with the MkvTollNix GUI program. MakeMKV uses "libebml v1.3.5 + libmatroska v1.4.7" and MkvToolNIX itself uses "libebml v1.3.5 + libmatroska v1.4.8". But in general, the filees created by MakeMKV are usable on nearly all players (Hard- and Software). I have old and very old MKV files, no problemes to use it. Same applies to the newer files.
Good Luck :)

Post by telemarker »

hi there, to put some light here, check out this link:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ies-tv-app
it supports MPEG2, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, VC-1 (WMV3) and H.265/MPEG-4 HEVC (which is basicly all you need for blurays)

and yes, i am using the latest versions of all of these programs.
the app could play the video of "older" mkv files but not of those created by makemkv 1.12.0
it would be nice if that will change in the future - since it obviously is possible now (mkvtoolnix 20.0.0)
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

A simple search of Google for the error number you received shows quite a number of "fixes", usually having to do with registry entries being screwed up.
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

telemarker wrote:i found a strange issue here. when ripping the files and try to play them with the video & tv app i go an error.
however if i put the files into mkvtoolnix and output them - there is no issue.
You are correct that UHD MKV files need to be remuxed for the Movies & TV player in Windows 10. Some players are picky about MKV files. My Android tablet will not play Handbrake compressed MKV files unless they are remuxed with MKVtoolnix either. My TV will play the MakeMKV UHD file through its USB port without any remuxing.

While Movies & TV does play the file smoothly, it does not handle the HDR well. There is a green or blue tint to each scene and excessive saturation and contrast on my monitor. Standard BR MKV files look good but there is no audio as Movies & TV will not play DTS audio streams.
telemarker

Post by telemarker »

hey jinx, finally somebody who understands the problem and does not go sideways - thanks.
i know the dts issue is out there for years, as the mpeg2 and h265 issue has been. lets hope they will include the codec this year.
usually i play those files in the network directly from my beamer or with my tablet - both of them could handle dts directly.
but to check and and to watch dvd-mkvs i am using "movies & tv app" since they resolution is too bad to watch on big screen.

@woodstock: if you found a solution why don't you post a fix here?
i got this https://windowsreport.com/mkv-videos-windows-10/, but when i installed the "fix" it won't fix anything - now i don't even get correct thumbnails with in explorer with those odd .mkv files.
besides .mkv with pgs are not working anymore - so thanks for pointing me in a worse direction!
Last edited by telemarker on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Since I cannot verify any of the suggestions I found (no operating Win10 system), I would not be comfortable in recommending them.

Especially posting links to registry files, given that I have no way of verifying their correctness.

For example, one of the suggestions I found on a Microsoft-run forum had a link to another site, with a registry file that supposedly corrected the problem, but linked back to a Microsoft Tech Net article that applied to Windows XP. No way I'm getting into that rabbit hole and crawling around.

If, as suggested, remuxing the file with mkvmerge "fixes" the problem with that one app, great. And maybe Mike can take your information and adjust how MakeMKV creates the MKV files. But the fact that other apps do not have an issue indicates that the problem is in the Windows Movie and TV app.

I do have a relatively low-spec Win10 machine I can fire up. When I tested it with MKV files today, it was unable to play the audio on an MKV from a BD rip, and no subtitles were available. Same file plays just fine in VLC with multiple audio tracks available and playable, and was used as a source for a handbrake encode.

But it didn't crash or complain about "unsupported codec".
telemarker

Post by telemarker »

ok, i was able to recreate the registry.
i also updated icaros and now everything is working better than before (also with pgs subtitles).
it would be nice if mike can include the same way parsing the files like mkvtoolnix does nowadays.
dvdcollector

Post by dvdcollector »

Thanks a lot for creating this post telemarker.

I'm facing the same issue and of course it's mainly due to the very lacking Windows 10 Movies & TV app (error 0xc00d3e8c, no thumbnail in explorer, no file details in explorer).
Having purchased MakeMKV I'm currently backing up my 1000+ bluray disc collection. To rename the MakeMKV rip results I'm using Windows File Explorer to show the files playtime and then match it to the track name.

After 20+ Blurays I have to conclude that MakeMKV never gets the actual movie tracks exported in a way that they instantly play with W10 Movies & TV app.
I have to batch multiplex every single rip. While that isn't too much pain in general it is when you're doing 1000+ discs.

What I don't understand:
  1. Why does multiplexing the MakeMKV results via MKVToolNix 23.0 always create perfectly playable files ?
  2. Why can't MakeMKV produce the same type of MKVs as MKVToolNix does?
Attached a MediaInfo comparison:
Left: MakeMVK rip result which doesn't play
Right: MakeMKV rip result after being processed by MKVToolNix with standard settings and then playing fine
Attachments
MediaInfo.jpg
MediaInfo.jpg (498.04 KiB) Viewed 16436 times