3D and/or 2D Versions

Everything related to MakeMKV
IdahoBill

3D and/or 2D Versions

Post by IdahoBill »

This questions probably been asked before but I can't seem to find a definitive answer so please don't shoot me :-).

If I already have a 3D version of a movie do I need to also keep a 2D version? Kind of hate to waste the HDD space keeping both if it's not needed. When I set my 3D TV to 2D mode the 3D movies seem to play fine in 2D but I may be missing something.

TV: KDL55W900A
Player: Mede8er/KDLinks
Server: Synology DS1812

Thanks in advance!
preserve

Re: 3D and/or 2D Versions

Post by preserve »

There is a lot of painting done to achieve the 3D, so you are not really seeing the original movie. You are seeing either the left or the right eye of the 3D version, with things shifted around in the frame. You're not seeing the original composition and framing of the film.

There can be aspect ratio differences between 2D and 3D versions, especially for movies with changing aspect ratios.

For my own collection and viewing, I always keep both - if I'm going to watch in 2D, I watch the 2D version.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
IdahoBill

Re: 3D and/or 2D Versions

Post by IdahoBill »

Preserve, I sure appreciate the info. Not the answer I was hoping for but it is what it is. Glad I've got it sorted. My server is just about full and was doing some cleanup. Guess I might have to upgrade my HDD's.

Thanks again!