Malformed audio output

Everything related to MakeMKV
tppytel

Malformed audio output

Post by tppytel »

I've ripped a few hundred discs with MakeMKV, but I've never seen this before... I'm ripping the UK StudioCanal release of La Strada and it mostly rips correctly. However, there's one title that comes out with malformed audio even though it plays correctly in a hardware player. The title should be about 10 minutes long with an AVC video stream and a Stereo LPCM audio stream. The video stream from the resulting MKV is fine. But the audio stream comes out 15 minutes long, with approximately 5 minutes of silence at the beginning and the end. The remaining 5 minutes of audio in the middle is OK and is correctly synced to the video.

I'm running the current version of MakeMKV and get the same result on two different BD drives. There are no reported errors or unusual messages. MakeMKV problem? Funky mastering problem? Any suggested workarounds (perhaps with AnyDVDHD, which I also have)?

(Mods - Apologies if this belongs in the BD forum. Seems like that forum is more about decryption and playlist issues, which aren't relevant here.)
Woodstock

Re: Malformed audio output

Post by Woodstock »

If the topic were to be moved anywhere, it would be to the playback section, but...

What are you playing the MKV with? Usually it's the hardware players that "screw up badly", but you say the MKV plays fine on a hardware player.

Did MakeMKV make any log entries about correcting audio time stamps?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tppytel

Post by tppytel »

Woodstock wrote:What are you playing the MKV with? Usually it's the hardware players that "screw up badly", but you say the MKV plays fine on a hardware player.
Sorry if I was unclear... the disc plays correctly in my Oppo. I haven't tried playing the MKV on the Oppo. I'm playing the MKV on my PC with VLC player. It is a Region B disc and I'm in Region A if that matters at all for MakeMKV's ripping routines. And the title itself is 25fps PAL. But I've ripped several other PAL discs without issue and the other titles on this same disc (some of which are also 25fps) rip and play just fine with VLC player. It's just this one title that won't come out correctly.
Did MakeMKV make any log entries about correcting audio time stamps?
Nothing notable in the log at all. Looks just like any other rip.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Region should not matter - I rip region B disks occasionally without issue.

See if the audio issue still happens if you have the Oppo play the MKV file.

I no longer trust VLC to correctly play MKV files, with some of the changes they have made over the last couple of years. Although it is useful for checking to see if all the tracks were ripped from a particular title.
tppytel

Post by tppytel »

The Oppo can't play the MKV either, nor can Plex. Both start playing the video for a couple seconds (silently), then crash.

Given that I can demux the audio, open it in Audacity, and see the long stretches of silence, I'd say this is not a playback issue. There's definitely something wrong with the file MakeMKV produces.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Well, start with the FAQ link in my signature, and send the requested information to support@makemkv.com for Mike to look at it. I'm sure he'll ask for additional information.