Can't quit processing of faulty DVDs

Everything related to MakeMKV
jaydear

Can't quit processing of faulty DVDs

Post by jaydear »

If MakeMKV encounters errors due to radial scratches it can take hours to get past a [tiny] faulty area. When you don't have the time for this, you click the Stop button, but very annoyingly MakeMKV just ignores it and keeps rollin' along... The only way to stop it is to eject the disc.

Would it be possible to PLEASE have MakeMKV stop right away. To my mind, "Stop" should stop it instantly.
Attachments
It just won't stop, no matter how many times you click it!
It just won't stop, no matter how many times you click it!
MakeMKV_error.jpg (27.5 KiB) Viewed 7664 times
jaydear

Re: Can't quit processing of faulty DVDs

Post by jaydear »

Just a further thought - It would be useful if there was an option to NOT try to read obviously faulty areas of a disc and jump to the next good section. Sure, you're going to be missing a short bit of the content, but that's better than watching a whole lot of pixellated mush, which is all I've ever gotten from hours of trying to get a silk purse from a pig's ear.

When playing a faulty disc on a standalone DVD/Blu-ray player there's usually a brief pause and it jumps to the next good bit. I think that's the best we can hope for.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You can reduce the number of retries on I/O errors in Preferences->IO, but there will still be a delay if the drive is trying to read the disk, because the operating system is going to wait for the drive to start responding again.

There are some drives that will try not to give errors - even if they experience a read error, they'll TRY to respond with SOMETHING, which can be worse than replying that an error has occurred.

As for telling MakeMKV to skip the bad areas and try to recover at the next readable spot, I doubt Mike will do that.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jaydear

Post by jaydear »

Bummer :(

What do you think about the Stop problem?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The stop command has to wait until the part of MakeMKV that is actually talking to the drive "gets talkative" again. If it is waiting for the drive to respond to its last request, it will be "stuck" until the command times out. And that comes down to what the hardware is doing.

With the new drives I put in to handle UHD, I've started to see times when Windows thinks the drive is off-line (and it tells MakeMKV that), when the drive is simply trying REALLY HARD to read a sector.

If things are working fine with the drive, the stop signal seems to be acknowledged very quickly.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jaydear

Post by jaydear »

I'm having a problem with a particular track on a particular disc. Make MKV can't stop when it is waiting for the drive, BUT, the same disc in the same drive using DVDFab fails in the same area and does stop within a second when told to cancel. Just saying. If they can do it so should MakeMKV imho.