General questions

Everything related to MakeMKV
johncap523

General questions

Post by johncap523 »

I'm coming back to the hobby after 8 years away and it's time to RIP my collection to a Plex server. So I have some questions. I'm sure they're answered somewhere but I'm too lazy to look.

First, this format seems to be proprietary, am I going to have any issues viewing my movies largely through Plex?

Second, is there a way to stitch films together? I have a few flippers to RIP.

Third, I have a number of other regions discs, should I expect them to RIP without issues?
Woodstock

Re: General questions

Post by Woodstock »

MKV is an open standard. Apple doesn't like it, but most other software companies support it.

The codecs used to encode video and audio... they can be pretty much anything, but most of the DVD and BD codecs are handled by modern software, so it should not be a problem.

There are ways to stitch MKV files together, but MakeMKV doesn't do it. ffmpeg and similar programs do a better job than mkvtoolnix tool when the sources are different, but lots of free stuff available for the task.

MakeMKV doesn't care about region coding - it bypasses it unless you have a drive that absolutely refuses, but I haven't seen an out-of-region BD or DVD that it didn't handle. And no, the region coding doesn't get copied to the MKV file.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
johncap523

Re: General questions

Post by johncap523 »

Thanks. I'm just starting the process of putting the Plex server together and thinking about what I'll use to RIP... Most of the tools I have go back 9-10 years....