How to keep chapters when ripping my DVD's and Blu-ray's????

Everything related to MakeMKV
DaveB

How to keep chapters when ripping my DVD's and Blu-ray's????

Post by DaveB »

Can anyone help me? I am trying to figure out how I can keep my DVD/Blu-ray chapters when I rip them with MakeMKV. I had someone tell me but it does not seem to work. All they said was check the box in the options. What am I missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave B
Woodstock

Re: How to keep chapters when ripping my DVD's and Blu-ray's????

Post by Woodstock »

Unless you specifically tell MakeMKV to not include chapters, they will be there, if they were in the source.

Some DVD and BD disk are authored with multiple "views", some of which don't have chapters. This is often the case if you chose an m2ts file instead of a mpls play list file. But, MakeMKV will tell you how many chapters are in the source, so that should be obvious when it happens.

As for what happens after that, if your play isn't chapter-aware, having them isn't going to help.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

For some odd reason no matter what I do I am not able to keep the movie chapters. What Am I doing wrong?

Dave B
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

How do you know the chapters aren't there? Some players cannot handle chapters, for various reasons.

Play the MKV file in VLC. In the Playback menu, is the Chapters item available? Does it list chapters?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Spike

Post by Spike »

I think i know what Woodstock means. Woodstock means don't change any of the preferences in makemkv and it will include all the parts/episodes on the disc. But thats not what i think DaveB is looking for, he's looking for a way to keep the chapters (mpls files) in the main movie. I'm having to same questions but i'm not trying to rip movies but High Fidelity Pure Audio discs and i would like to keep a single file and skip within that file to the next song(chapter). Yeah that's not possible with makemkv maybe it's possible with/in mkvtoolnix, handbrake or ripbot.

@DaveB read this: viewtopic.php?t=7088
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

DaveB wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:55 pm
For some odd reason no matter what I do I am not able to keep the movie chapters. What Am I doing wrong?

Dave B
How do you work with MakeMKV? Do you make a decrypted backup and then use the m2ts files or do you let MakeMKV create MKV files?

M2TS files do not have meta information like chapters or audio languages.
obitwan7

Post by obitwan7 »

When I rip a TV show or movie, I always saw chapters using MakeMKV. I can even go so far as to name the Episode, then even name the chapter breaks, so when you play in PLEX, VLC Player or what-not can see those clearly.

What I would like to know is.....is there anything that can be used with MakeMKV to grab the episode names and even the chapter breaks themselves? That would be a time saer and even take out a lot of guess work, when working with TV shows.