www.makemkv.com

MakeMKV support forum
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: HD-DVD
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:23 am 

Great program although I never managed to rip any HD-DVD disks. The program displays all small files bur never shows the larger main movie file. I thought the programs desined to rip HD-DVD as well.
I have no problems with Blu rayss and regular DVDs. Any Advice?

Post subject: Re: HD-DVD
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:31 am 

The HD-DVD support is very basic and is likely to stay this way. HD-DVD lost the format war.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:20 am 

izzyny wrote:
Great program although I never managed to rip any HD-DVD disks. The program displays all small files bur never shows the larger main movie file. I thought the programs desined to rip HD-DVD as well.
I have no problems with Blu rayss and regular DVDs. Any Advice?

use eac3to + MKVMerge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:26 am 

So far all attempts to use MKVmerge GUI resulted in files with no audio. I'm completely lost on how to use eac3to. I have been able to backup the HD DVDs to BD-Rs using AnyDVD to rip the disc. PowerDVD 7.x will play the BD-R copies. ...and the blank 25GB BD-Rs cost me less than $3 each. So far, every HD DVD I've bought fits on a 25GB BD-R. My trial period has ended and I can't afford to buy AnyDVD until next payday - or later because of other plans, but this is the only way I know to successfully backup HD DVDs at the moment. I've been focusing on the HD DVDs that show no sign of a Blu-Ray release soon.

I'd love to see easier to understand instructions for ripping HD DVDs to a format I can convert. MakeMVK won't rip any of the HD DVDs I have. ...at least not the movie itself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:35 pm 

slade37 wrote:
So far all attempts to use MKVmerge GUI resulted in files with no audio. I'm completely lost on how to use eac3to. I have been able to backup the HD DVDs to BD-Rs using AnyDVD to rip the disc. PowerDVD 7.x will play the BD-R copies. ...and the blank 25GB BD-Rs cost me less than $3 each. So far, every HD DVD I've bought fits on a 25GB BD-R. My trial period has ended and I can't afford to buy AnyDVD until next payday - or later because of other plans, but this is the only way I know to successfully backup HD DVDs at the moment. I've been focusing on the HD DVDs that show no sign of a Blu-Ray release soon.

I'd love to see easier to understand instructions for ripping HD DVDs to a format I can convert. MakeMVK won't rip any of the HD DVDs I have. ...at least not the movie itself.

Check the slysoft forums for a frontend GUI called Clown_BD (current version is .64). Or just BING or Google it. (it comes right up).

I've done all my HD-DVD's with it. Very easy to use as a layman.

EDIT: Clown_BD will do it lossless. If you want a tool to shrink the HDDVD's, another option is Ripbot264. Ripbot however will take a long, long, long time and will peg your CPU to 100% regardless of horsies under your hood.